Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   advice on using pounce pads please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-using-pounce-pads-please-t120265.html)

maine ladybug 05-02-2011 02:07 PM

I've been using it for years and really like it. The most common mistake people make is thinking that you pounce with it. You don't. You rub it across your stencil and it leaves the pattern markings on the fabric. The only thing I have a problem with is that it only comes in white. So it doesn't show up well on very light colors. Other than that it's great and I've never had a problem ironing it off. It goes right away, unlike some other products I've tried and never been able to remove after I'm done quilting.

wolfkitty 05-02-2011 03:19 PM

I have seen blue powder for it, also, in our LQS.

maine ladybug 05-02-2011 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
I have seen blue powder for it, also, in our LQS.

I think that is just in the regular pounce, not in the iron off.

gal288 05-02-2011 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
I've been using it for years and really like it. The most common mistake people make is thinking that you pounce with it. You don't. You rub it across your stencil and it leaves the pattern markings on the fabric. The only thing I have a problem with is that it only comes in white. So it doesn't show up well on very light colors. Other than that it's great and I've never had a problem ironing it off. It goes right away, unlike some other products I've tried and never been able to remove after I'm done quilting.

Me too! That's the key, not pouncing but rubbing!

I have mixed cinnamon into the white powder to us it on lite fabrics, makes the quilt smell pretty and won't stain

soccertxi 05-02-2011 04:15 PM

try using a cheapo foam brush in stead of the pouncer. I like it alot better. I just dip my brush into the chalk and swipe just like the pouncer. You use alot less..and there is alot less chalk flying around

maine ladybug 05-02-2011 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by soccertxi
try using a cheapo foam brush in stead of the pouncer. I like it alot better. I just dip my brush into the chalk and swipe just like the pouncer. You use alot less..and there is alot less chalk flying around

Wow! That sounds like a great idea. You are very clever.

ruck9085 05-02-2011 08:30 PM

After reading your post, I did as you said. I rubbed the pounce pad across my quilt and the dang thing came out perfectly!! Told you I have my blond moments! LOL!

fabric whisperer 05-02-2011 08:33 PM

I love mine ~ only make sure you don't have the steam setting ON when ironing it off... ask me how I know! oops! It did eventually come off, but it was flannel, and steam made it a little sticky. A good wash with double rinse worked for us. Other than that, I use it all the time, as I make my own stencil designs... Cannot live without mine!

BTW there are a couple sellers on eBay that sell the blue and yellow chalks!

Holice 05-02-2011 08:42 PM

The original question related to the "steam off" pounce or Miracle Chalk.
The manufacturer has not yet found a color that can be added to the "chalk" that will disapear with steam They say they are still working on it. The quilting world is waiting for the color.

Holice 05-02-2011 08:45 PM

For the regular chalk pounce. I have seen it demonstrated by pouncing and then spraying with hair spray to fix the chalk until the piece is quilted and washed. I don't remember if it can be brushed off and not have to wash or it must be washed out. Regular pounce chalk - and even the colored chalk will bounce off in the work. And I would not recommend some colors because they may not come out.
If chalk is used then I recommend that as much of the surface chalk left be removed with brush or dry terry cloth before washing because chalk will cake and may be more difficult to remove.