Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   advice on using pounce pads please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-using-pounce-pads-please-t120265.html)

nativetexan 05-03-2011 05:42 AM

i have the pounce pad with the chalk that wipes or washes off. the stencil i used caused me to actually pounce. the directions say to wipe but the pad covering kept getting caught in the sharp edges of the leaf designs on the stencil. so i pounced like crazy. it worked but used a lot of chalk.

MarieM 05-03-2011 05:50 AM

I have not used the iron off type but I use the blue colored pounce powder. It shows up on every color I've tried it on. You can also use a black light that will help it to show up on lite colors.

When you first start using a new pounce pad it you need to "load" the pad w/chalk. It takes a while to get the chalk into the pad. When I went to LA class they used it and pounded it to make sure the chalk is in the pad, then using the eraser method works, rather than actually "pouncing" it. I live on a bumpy dirt road so I put mine on the floor of my Jeep for a few weeks to bounce the pounce into the pad.

Hope this helps.

Marie

Iamquilter 05-03-2011 05:52 AM

Yes it does come in blue also.

Linn 05-03-2011 07:33 AM

I just bought some but havent used yet. I got some for light and for dark fabrics.

Sallyjane 05-03-2011 07:58 AM

I had the unfortunate experience of finding this out the hard way. I used the regular pounce pad chalk in blue and it did not wash out. Even after 3 washing I could still see a bit of the blue. The worst part was the peely-balls that developed after the multiple washings. I think I can blame the Connecting Threads fabric for that :(

Originally Posted by Holice
For the regular chalk pounce. I have seen it demonstrated by pouncing and then spraying with hair spray to fix the chalk until the piece is quilted and washed. I don't remember if it can be brushed off and not have to wash or it must be washed out. Regular pounce chalk - and even the colored chalk will bounce off in the work. And I would not recommend some colors because they may not come out.
If chalk is used then I recommend that as much of the surface chalk left be removed with brush or dry terry cloth before washing because chalk will cake and may be more difficult to remove.

Jamiestitcher62 05-03-2011 09:05 AM

Everytime I use the pounce (which I love, by the way) when I'm done it looks like I sneezed in a cocaine factory. Even my cat won't come near me when working with it.

It does kind of get all over your machine when the needle punches the fabric it kind of poofs up and dirties your embroidery foot. I have to clean up afterward.

That's kind of why I like to do things that need to be marked all at once.

I find it the easiest. I've found pencils are a pain in the butt.

Johanna Fritz 05-03-2011 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by saf
Has anyone used the 'iron off' pounce pads to mark their top for quilting?

Love, love, love them. I find they show up great, but with the ones that disappear with an iron - contrary to the name, you don't "pounce" - you "wipe" across. If your marks aren't dark, you are probably pouncing. I have not had problems with marks coming back. If you can't see the marks well, you won't quilt well.

margecam52 05-03-2011 11:25 AM

I use it some. I know you need to start by pounding the chalk filled pounce pad on a hard surface to fill the pad with chalk.
You don't "pounce" it on the stencil...you rub it back and forth (like cleaning a counter top with a sponge).

To get color in it...you could add a tiny bit of chalk...but be careful...that chalk with color may be permanent. Best to buy a blue pounce chalk and just add a tiny (1/8 teaspoon) to the filled pounce...shake it well and then pound on hard surface to start the new shade through.

I usually make my own little pad out of a piece of terrycloth...I take the pounce powder (or corn starch), add a touch of cinnamon...(bugs hate cinnamon) to add a little tint of color...and use that filled terrycloth as my pounce..tap/pounce onto a hard surface...then rub over the stencil, as with the pounce pad.

I sometimes even make my own stencils... I'll take a piece of tracing paper, print the design onto it... put several layers together, stitch over the design/layers with an unthreaded sewing machine..take apart...many stencils to pounce with.
Marge

Dizzydene 05-03-2011 11:31 AM

I have used it and I rub the area first with a slightly damp cloth and then it sticks and shows up fine (on dark fabric only).

Recently I bought a laser pen from Floyd and Lizzies quilt shop and drilled a hole thru my long arm machine and fastened it on. The shop told me exactly how to do it.

Now I can lay a pattern right on my quilt and using the laser pen to follow the pattern, I can quilt without having to mark or pounce my quilt.

Lynda H. 05-03-2011 11:46 AM

Do you know the brand name of the Lazer Pen?
Do you have a picture of how it is attached to the quilting maching?

Sounds like a great idea. I would like to try it, however I need a picture to visualize it.

Originally Posted by Dizzydene
I have used it and I rub the area first with a slightly damp cloth and then it sticks and shows up fine (on dark fabric only).

Recently I bought a laser pen from Floyd and Lizzies quilt shop and drilled a hole thru my long arm machine and fastened it on. The shop told me exactly how to do it.

Now I can lay a pattern right on my quilt and using the laser pen to follow the pattern, I can quilt without having to mark or pounce my quilt.