Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Afghan women are coming to quilt! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/afghan-women-coming-quilt-t114205.html)

Carol's Quilts 06-05-2011 03:17 PM

Are you back from leave yet? Did you have a good time? Where did you go? What did you do?

We miss hearing from you. We're still being patient, but are anxious to hear the latest.

Oh, just reread the post in which you said that you go on leave in June so I guess you're certainly not back yet! I'll just keep checking!

EdieClay 06-05-2011 03:55 PM

Thank you so much for sharing info about the Afghan women. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help with their quilting projects. You are showing us that one person can make a difference in the lives of others.

Sienna's GiGi 06-05-2011 07:47 PM

All,
I go on leave in three days. We had a huge turnover in the last three weeks so I've been very busy. I have a CD with pictures that I am going to download when I get to the states and share with you all. Our removable media capabilities are disabled becasue of the Wikileaks thingy so I can't up or download anything in theater. The women had their own bazaar yesterday and it was a hit. We also went to the Afghan Women's Garden. Please google it because I will be referring to it in the future. It is an awesome place and the only one in Afghanistan. I got a chance to wear civilian clothes, makeup, earrings and not carry a weapon or protective gear. I was a GIRL for three hours. Cool! I had a shop owner take pictures and send them to me so I can show you the Hazara made quilts but the pictures did not come out well so I will have to get some myself when I get back to Afghanistan. Thanks for your patience. I promise you will be rewarded soon. I am meeting some board members in Atlanta and hopefully in Columbus, OH when I get there. I am so excited. Tchuss! ~Erika.

Stacey 06-05-2011 07:57 PM

Oh, Erika, that is so exciting. How thrilled you must have been to visit the Garden. I can't wait to see the pix. Have an awesome leave and welcome home.

Carol's Quilts 06-06-2011 02:44 PM

Have a safe trip and a great visit on your leave. I am so excited for you. Like everyone else, I'm so anxious to see all the photos you have mentioned. Have a wonderful time and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I repeat what Stacey said - WELCOME HOME !! Wish we could all be there at the airport to greet you. Can you feel all the hugs?

crrdownshift 06-09-2011 07:12 AM

What you are doing is wonderful and unique. Since you have your computer, I would suggest you keep a kind of journal, along with pictures (which, of course, we'd all love to see!), and think about some kind of article for magazines (not just Quilers' magazines), and you'll be publicizing what you - and the Afghan women are doing. Also, similar projects for women in 3rd World countries, have given the women the opportunity to start a "home industry" and become somewhat self-sufficient - or at least to have some money of their own for themselves and their children. Companies here in the States might even donate material, and become sales agents for what the women make and don't use themselves. Good luck, and blessings. Connie

Carol's Quilts 07-24-2011 08:30 AM

Hi Erika,
Gosh, are you OK? It's been SO long since we've heard from you. I keep checking and checking, but still no word. I assume you're back from leave, and we all really want to hear all about it. Did you accomplish what you wanted to when you were back in the States? We're still anxious to see all those wonderful pics! Is security still preventing you from contacting us? Are the Afghani women still interested in exchanging quilting/embroidery knowledge?

It's like you just fell off the face of the earth! PLEASE contact us soon. I for one am worried about you.

Carol

lots2do 07-24-2011 08:32 AM

Carol - thank you for posting this.

romanojg 07-24-2011 11:38 AM

Great job. There is a quilting shop here that works w/others to collect sewing items including alot of treadle machines since they have no electricity and the send it over to them to teach the women to quilt. If anyone wants to check out thier web site and even better you can offer to help I'll include it here. They have stories there about some of the things the women there have to endure and it breaks my heart to imagine how anyone could treat a person Man or woman like they were nothing. No, I don't work for the store but I do go there and considering how nice the women are there it's no wonder they help.

http://www.bellafabricsva.com/service-project.htm

Sienna's GiGi 09-08-2011 10:55 AM

I posted updates and pictures under "Afghan Women and Quilts." Thanks for all the prayers and encouragement. I will be leaving to go home very soon. I'm so excited. ~Erika.