Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ages (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ages-t67298.html)

sew wishful 09-30-2010 02:35 AM

I'm 61 and just began quilting THIS YEAR!!! My 17 yo GD is waiting patiently for me to be ready to do her quilt so she can help. Age is irrelevant.

Junepot 09-30-2010 02:49 AM

Started quilting this year, at age 48! Two kiddos, two doggies, two cats, only one husband! :wink:

leatheflea 09-30-2010 02:56 AM

I'm 41, started quilting at 35, wish i started sooner.

bearlea 09-30-2010 03:02 AM

Well I am 53..been quilting 10+ years...my dh encourages it..its cheaper than a shrink but he does love to tease when we go to quilt shows about there only being 5 women under the age of 60 there...I always tell him the younger ones are at work so the retired ones can collect their social security...like the grey beard harley riders..heheheh...we have alot of fun with it....blessings

DebsShelties 09-30-2010 03:12 AM

Maybe your hubby is a tad jealous? He doesn't have a cool hobby like you do so he has to say something without thinking about what he said.
Quilting and sewing is something for all ages, men and women. Some of the most famous designers are men in the cloth world.
Just turned 52 and started sewing back when I was 11, started getting interested in quilting about 10 years ago when I watched the shows about it on tv.

steelecg 09-30-2010 03:25 AM

Back in the day on the Prairie, girls were expected to make their first quilts around the age of 5. What does your husband think is an age-appropriate hobby??

grammyv 09-30-2010 03:30 AM

i started quilting when i was still in high school.i had met my boyfriend's great-gm and an g=aunt and they made BEAUTIFUL quilts.that started the bug for me.made a trip round the world totally handmade and hand quilted-took 2 yrs-for my oldest brother when my daughter was 2!it was in a series of cigar boxes.that started the pact-hubby doesnt fuss about the time i spend quilting and idont begrudge him the time he spends with his old tractors.it's worked out well-we just celebrated our 29th anniversary. tell your husband he's crazy-but a cute kind of crazy!:)

DebbyT 09-30-2010 03:34 AM

I started sewing at 7. I am now 57. Quilting is only one of several sewing crafts I spend time doing. Once a person masters the sewing machine, your options are open.

sewTinker 09-30-2010 03:38 AM

quilting generates Devotion, Insight, and Fun; it develops Patience, a sense of Humor, Generosity, and Math Skills. You're never too young for those things. lol... (although, I should add, at 59, I'm that old grandma he's referring to - started when I was 49, which seems pretty Young to me now! :-) )

sew_lulu 09-30-2010 03:39 AM

Yup, my friends think I'm also crazy when I first started quilt at the age of 25. Now that they have kids, they come back and ask if I could make them one. Lol..

I'm now 39! I don't make a lot of quilt, only 1-3 a year. And that's enough to make a happy person!