Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ages (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ages-t67298.html)

loopywren 09-29-2010 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by dojo36
well, let's see who is the oldest and still going strong quilting.
i'll be 74 in december, i still work 4 days a week as a barber, do long arm quilting for the public and still find some time to do my own things.
donna

My Mum has only just stopped quilting and she is 96yrs, she is still knitting for us all though.

JenBlossom 09-29-2010 05:47 AM

I am 27 and have a toddler, and I just started quilting this year. I did make an unfortunate "quilt" for my mom 2 years ago for Christmas, but I didn't even know enough to actually quilt it so it's a mess. She loves it though and is getting a real replacement soon!

My husband is actually really excited that I can make stuff and likes to show it off, but most of our friends and family are the same as your husband and think I'm nuts.

Ps 150 09-29-2010 05:52 AM

I'm 2* with a few years left until I hit the big 3-0. :lol: I have two little girls and I've been quilting for a year now.

moonangel12 09-29-2010 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts

Originally Posted by MommaDorian

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I am 46 years old and have 14 children, ages 23 to 5 yrs old. I started quilting at about 38 and it had nothing to do with age. I am also a red belt in tae kwon do, two belts away from becoming a black belt, which I fully intent to make irregardless of age. LOL I do think some of us have more time for quilting as we be come empty nesters and retire.

You go girl!!! Did you adopt any of your children? Or are they all biological? Sorry if I'm being too nosey.

We are used to people asking. Five of our children are biological. Growing a family both by birth and adoption is a wonderful blessing. My youngest two are in the avatar picture.

That is awesome! We want(ed) a larger family, but each pregnancy is getting harder and harder on my body which worries DH and my family so we will probably look to adoption once we get settled with the new little one. I might PM you with some questions, if that's ok??

I am 26 with a 3 year old, a 17 month old, and one on the way in April. DH likes that I have found something I enjoy - I think he was feeling guilty about his fishing obsession, um, I mean, hobby :wink:

I forgot to add that I made my first quilt about 11 years ago, but just recently got back into it about a year and a half ago.

deema 09-29-2010 06:06 AM

I'm 26, I have two children - 5yo and 5mo. I got my first sewing machine about three years ago and did small projects, baby blankets and some clothing. I started my first pieced quilt about a month ago, finished in three weeks. Did a second (with my 5yo) in the last couple of weeks and have just started a third. AND have a fourth planned.

cindle 09-29-2010 06:10 AM

I got the same thing too "isn't that an old lady hobby". I'm 30 and got a wonderful birthday present of getting to attend an 8 week quilting class. I absolutely loved it and still do. I don't have any kids just my little dog Mckye who's my fur baby and who also got the second quilt I ever made. :)

stefanib123 09-29-2010 06:18 AM

You know, I don't get that from people about quilting. I did get a little flack about scrapbooking though! People thinks its just paper and pictures, and its so much more than that!

I get comments like "I wish *I* had time to do stuff like that", well, you have time to watch t.v, don't you? If you like something you MAKE time for it.

And I have one brother in law that is a pain in the butt. He has said many comments to me about "wasting" money on all the scrapbooking paper I have, etc. My sister is a scrapbooker, so he is always riding her about it. If I was her, I'd slap him sometimes!

But, with the quilts, its different.I always get compliments, etc. Maybe because people see quilts as something that everyone uses, its an actual "useful" item? And scrapbooks are just to look at?

The only people I get funny comments from about my age(I'm 35) are usually other quilters! There's a couple that hang out at the quilt shop that are always acting like "younger" people don't know anything about quilting. Of course, I help enforce that stereotype, as I am a "newbie", but theres a LOT of young quilters that are very, very advanced.

Thank God those types are few and far between! Most quilters are very happy to help a newbie, and don't assume that just because someone is young they are inexperienced.

Lynnejean 09-29-2010 06:58 AM

Made my first quilt at 20 yrs old. Quilted on and off for the next several years and then 2 years ago really got into it. I'm a very young 50! :-)

Lucky Patsy's 09-29-2010 08:25 AM

I am 55. There may be a number of grandmas who quilt, perhaps because, with their kids grown, they have more time, but quilting is all about creativity and self expression, which can bring joy and satisfaction to people of ANY age!

Lady Shivesa 09-29-2010 08:49 AM

I'm twenty one years old and I just started quilting about...1-2 months ago. I really don't think it's an age thing - I think if you have a lot of time on your hands, you may be more inclined to quilt, although like someone else said, it's kind of something you make time for.

But being unemployed and having hours and hours of free time on my hands, I decided to dive into quilting. Boy am I glad I did! I haven't gotten any of the 'isn't that for older people' things yet, but the guy at the library did say 'aren't you supposed to quilt in the winter' when I picked up some quilting books awhile back, lol.