Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Air cleaner in the sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/air-cleaner-sewing-room-t60952.html)

Joyce 08-23-2010 08:38 AM

How many of you have air cleaners in your sewing areas?
When I use to sew "production style" I always set a portable air cleaner as close as I could to where I was sewing.
At the end of a session of sewing, the filter would be covered with a fine gray dust, which I would vacuum off.
I feel this kept that much dust from going into my lungs.
I have asthma now, but it could have been so much worse.
Even when I sewed on white, the dust was still gray. The darker the fabric, the darker the dust.
Take care of your health dear friends.

bearisgray 08-23-2010 08:53 AM

That's scary!

grann of 6 08-23-2010 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Joyce
How many of you have air cleaners in your sewing areas?
When I use to sew "production style" I always set a portable air cleaner as close as I could to where I was sewing.
At the end of a session of sewing, the filter would be covered with a fine gray dust, which I would vacuum off.
I feel this kept that much dust from going into my lungs.
I have asthma now, but it could have been so much worse.
Even when I sewed on white, the dust was still gray. The darker the fabric, the darker the dust.
Take care of your health dear friends.

When I got my new furnace a few years ago, I added a central HEPA filtration system and a central humidifier for the winter. I don't have nosebleeds any more and fewer headaches.

pocoellie 08-23-2010 09:33 AM

Never even thought of it. Thanks for the information.

littlehud 08-23-2010 05:49 PM

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I never thought of that.

Linda B 08-23-2010 06:21 PM

Bet that would considerably cut down on the 'dust' that occurs in the sewing room! We used to have one years ago, but it is long gone.

wraez 08-24-2010 11:28 AM

My sewing room is actually my master bedroom, hubby and I sleep in the retreat off to the side, nice and cozy. We do use an air purifier closer to the bed because of hubby's allergies, and I have a dust allergy. My nose runs when I sew cuz of my allergy.

Hmmmm, now I'm thinking of moving it near my sewing machine while I am sewing and then put it back near the bed for sleeping.

thanks for the idea.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

sylviak 08-24-2010 12:01 PM

I've never considered that, but it makes sense. I have mild COPD. I'm not a smoker, but worked around chemicals for 30 years. I'm finding that more and more things irritate my lungs. I never thought about "dust" from sewing fabric! I'm going to see if I can purchase one that's portable. Thanks for the "heads up"!

cizzors 08-24-2010 12:08 PM

I bought a Holmes at WM about 3 weeks ago and sat it behind me. I believe the size is for a 10 x 12 room and it is doing it's job. $40.

Ann63 08-31-2010 12:47 PM

I have to have an air purifier also even when not sewing because of allergies & migraine headaches. I have one with filter replacement but that can be expensive. I bought a new one last year at Home Depot, paid about $150 because it has a permanent filter that you just take out and rinse. I got a Dyson Animal last year for Christmas, you would not believe the amount of dust it picks up. I would love to add the HEPA to my CA unit but remodeling my kitchen which was in need of an extreme makeover. I still had an avocado green wall oven and paneling in my kitchen.