Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Aiy yie yie! Rotary cut finger! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/aiy-yie-yie-rotary-cut-finger-t259797.html)

judykay 01-18-2015 07:56 AM

I have read so many of these horror stories that I am going to get myself a glove this week. There is a 50% off coupon in this weeks Joann's ad and I am going to get one before it is too late, I am known as the clutz of the family.

PATTIESPEARL 01-18-2015 10:11 AM

I sew feel for you!

nena 01-18-2015 10:55 AM

Did the same thing this morning. My middle finger. Felt like just a nick, but it was a little worse than I thought but I do not need it stitched. Amazing how fast that can happen. My first time in 10 years of quilting so I guess it was time.
Hope yours is better soon.

Veinurse 01-18-2015 12:07 PM

I too nick my finger when I do not close the blade. I warn the grandkids to stay away from my cutting table because of this. I really do try to close the blade each time I lay it down.

fayeberry 01-18-2015 01:21 PM

ouch! I wince just reading about it.

palmetto girl 01-18-2015 02:41 PM

So sorry for you. I learned from you quilter here or the board about the danger when I first started using the rotary cutter. Thank you for helping me stay safe so far. Now I own a craft store(small) but I do teach classes. The big thing I emphasize is safety. I tell them it would be hard to quilt those lovely quilts without all their fingers.

carolynjo 01-18-2015 02:54 PM

Prior to your next cut and to stop the bleeding, go to the drugstore and purchase a small box (like a bandaid box) of powder called "wound seal". It was developed for the military and looks like copper granules. It stops the bleeding immediately! My DH takes Eliquis which, untreated, causes him to bleed for days. This Wound Seal keeps him out of the ER most of the time. Find it near the band aids. We keep a package in each vehicle, and in both med. closets. We even took a package to our closest Doc in the Box as they didn't know about the product.

GailG 01-18-2015 05:24 PM

Thanks carolynjo on the heads up about Wound Seal. I will definitely look for some.

I do make a practice of closing my blade after every cut, but this accident happened as I was making a cut -- just wasn't paying attention to the "idle" finger poked up in the air... and I had a new blade!

Jeanette Frantz 01-18-2015 07:39 PM

Gail,

I did that too, almost a year ago. My rotary cutter was new, so was the blade I was using, and I probably should have had it stitched. The cut was really deep -- the finger is still numb where I cut it. The blade was so sharp, it had it really sliced before I knew it! I will definitely be more careful -- I don't have "spare" fingers! LOL!

Jeanette

PumpkinSundae 01-18-2015 08:18 PM

I cut my left forefinger a couple of years ago....not bad enough to get a stitch but it was not pretty. Learned my lesson. Hope you finger heals quickly!