Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   All the Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/all-fabric-t178837.html)

AUQuilter 02-10-2012 10:35 AM

I have been back to quilting and sewing for two years now and am surprised at how much fabric I do have. Although I will never be nominated for the ultimate stash queen title, I have more than enough to keep me busy for a long time. I use the ruler fabric folding method and store on 5 of the 8 shelves in a bedroom closet- 4 on each side of closet. I have learned to cut the leftovers using Bonnie Hunter's (www.quiltville.com) system and keep those in clear shoeboxes (I use an index card with size/color placed inside the box so I can see it at the end of the box). I have projects in clear boxes so they stay in my sight and they are written on my white board until they are finished. I have stocked up on fusible fleece, batting and thread when Joann Fabrics has 50% coupons or 50% off sales. If it is not 50% off, then it stays at the store- that way I can buy more fabric. Be on the lookout for sales and be open to doing scrap quilts from yard sales, estate sales, Goodwill, thrift stores or Craigslist posts. When I find the smaller yardage pieces, I either cut them up or put them in a "future project" box. For example, I am collecting pieces for a Red, White, & Black quilt and a Polka Dot (12 Blocks) quilt. Good luck!

RonieM 02-10-2012 10:39 AM

I have been quilting for about 15 years now, so I have accumulated a pretty nice stash. I keep telling everyone I am investing in my retirement (cause when I retire I won't be able to afford fabric). LOL :)

PolkaBabe 02-10-2012 12:09 PM

I have fabric that I have bought over the years, many with a project/item in mind & many not. Have gotten rid of alot, yet have bought more. Have worked in fabric shops over the years, no one else in the house but me. Don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't go to the bars, don't go to have my nails done, have something to drink only a few times a year (maybe), don't gamble. The best part is I can always have new clothes & not feel quilty about it. That
too would include quilting. Just need a gargauge to put my storage in instead of everywhere else. Then I could have an organized sewing/beading/computer room.

JabezRose 02-10-2012 12:13 PM

Yea, what everybody said about accumulating stash, me too.

Rubesgirl 02-10-2012 01:30 PM

I have only been quilting for a short time but sewing most of my life, so a lot of my stash has been accumulated over many years. Now I find that I buy what I need for a project or something I really want and put it away for whenever. Like the rest of you, if I don't get it when I see it, it's gone. I shop the sales at Joann's and Hancock, but still find some great buys at Walmart!

Mom3 02-10-2012 05:00 PM

I inherited my stash when my Mom passed away. Now it's up to me to use it. :)

Shari

lfletcher 02-11-2012 06:14 AM

At the beginning, I would buy to add to my stash at sales. However, over the years, it seems that I don't pull from my stash enough. I either don't have the right color or I no longer like the fabric as well as when I bought it. I now try to pull from my stash on each new project, but most of the time I end up buying more current fabric. I no longer buy to add to my stash but as I need it for a particular project. The exception to this is if I find a fabric that I just love and can't stop thinking about even though I don't have a pattern in mind. I will buy 3 yards of that on occasion (about once a year). I think if I had it to do over again, I would do like you do. Just buy for the current project. Over time you will have a good little stash from the leftovers.

nanOmint 02-11-2012 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by RonieM (Post 4962012)
I have been quilting for about 15 years now, so I have accumulated a pretty nice stash. I keep telling everyone I am investing in my retirement (cause when I retire I won't be able to afford fabric). LOL :)

The last year or two before retirement I bought for retirement. Been retired 10 years now. I don't have the time and can afford most things that I want.

mighty 02-11-2012 08:12 AM

I have been quilting for about a year, I have some stash but not huge. I buy fabric with projects in mind!!

Eliebelle 02-11-2012 11:41 AM

When I heard that fabric prices were going up last year, I took the opportunity (as if I needed any urging) to stock up on as much fabric as possible. Now, I can barely hold it all in my sewing/office room so I shop exclusively from my stash. I freely admit to being a fabriholic, but with prices now being what they are, I have to take it easy for awhile!