Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All the Fabric

All the Fabric

I've looked at many of the pictures on here and am amazed at how much fabric I see. I've been quilting just a year and buy fabric for each project as I go. Do you all watch for sales and buy to stock up, are these leftovers from other projects? I'm organizing my sewing room now and bookmarked one picture I liked for fabric storage. But I look at it and wonder how I could afford all of the fabric.

Blog Entries
    I have been sewing for years..... and have often bought fabric with good intentions of a new project... which never came to fruition.... (head hanging in shame). Also, I have come across some excellent buys at yard sales or estate auctions. Now.... I'm on a fabric diet and go to my stash first to use what I need and only purchase if absolutely have to. And last but not least.... I just LOVE fabric!!!! I look at it and see sooooo many possibilities.

I'm always amazed at how many fabrics that I see on this board that I have as well. Makes me feel like we all have such good taste!

I good stash happens over time.... for most of us years and decades. Shopping the sales and buying that fabulous must have fabric does accumulate since most of us... our planned projects or aspirations far exceeds our actual productivity. It really boils down to the a basic fundimental formula ...more input... not enough output=accumualtion/stash.
    Yes some of the accumulation comes from leftovers from projects or a change of plans from concept to implimentation.
    Just like any other accumulation it happens over time, not overnight... or even in just a year or two. I have stash that dates back 20 years, or more ....purchased with good intentions but just never made it into a final project.
    There are issues with the unbalance of "too much input not enough output", such as changing tastes.. what once was a great piece got to have met its newer better got to have fabric... and the stash just keeps getting bigger.
    Last edited by Lori S; 02-10-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Power Poster
    I have a nice size stash and I've bought most of it on sale over the years. If I liked a fabric and it was on sale, I bought a m/yd. If I loved it, I bought 3 m/yd. Now that my stash is good, I buy fat quaters of fabric I love and get one with the selvage info. so if I want more later I might be able to find it. I say might because it seems lately that if you don't buy this seasons fabric, it's gone before you know it. I am also glad I have a good stash because of the new bigger prints. I like the big prints but they don't seem to lend themselves too well to intricately pieced patterns. They do look lovely in the bigger block formats. The longer you quilt, the better your stash will be.

I have been sewing and crafting all my life, I still have some pieces left over from my wedding dress, dresses I made for my daughters, ultra swade( cowboy chaps for my son), fabric I recieved from my grandmother, some from yard sales, sales on QB, some bought for future project and changed my mind, Some bought just because I really liked it, and I always over buy the yardage because I live so far from my LQS and Joann's that if I need more I know it will be gone by the time I get back to get it. Your stash will build over time time. My stash started about the time I made my first doll cloths, about 60 years ago LOL and it is still going and growing. I do go to my stash first when I start a new project.

I have been saving fabric for years, a lot is left over from other projects but I am bad about seeing something I love and buying and not having any idea what to do with it. I buy for projects I never start and it gets put into the stash. I love beautiful fabric and when I find one I think I can't live without I buy it. After a few years you have a stash.

I have a stash that was mostly created when I 1st got into quilting & was still working. I went to all the quilt shop sales. With the cotton prices what they are now, I either shop in my own closet or buy only what the pattern calls for. I've even been trying to find new homes for some of my stash as I don't want everything to be trashed when I die. I don't have any relatives interested in quilting.

I used to buy fabric ahead, but I found I did't have enough, wrong color, changed my color interest, the list can go on and on. A few years back I decided not to buy anything bigger then a fat quarter. If I decided on a project, then I would buy the fabric needed plus a little extra for mistakes.

My stash comes from left overs, fat quarters and inherited fabric from my Mom & sister that I use on backs or community quilts. I have only 1 cabinet full of this. I don't like clutter.
    Mary

I don't have a monster stash but it's nice sized. I do buy fabrics just because I love them and know I want to use them in a future project. When I buy just for stash I buy anywhere from fat quarters up to 10 yards depending on what the likely use is. For blenders and designs where I'm likely to use several of one color I buy up to 1 yard lengths. For fabrics that I think will end up being a single supporting player I buy 2 or 3 yards. For focus fabrics I usually get 4 yards. If I think it's a great background neutral I buy anything from a 1/6th yard roll to 6 yards. For backing fabrics I almost always buy 8 yards. That way it'll work for the back of anything up to a queen size quilt. I don't buy a lot of fabric often though. I usually only buy big amounts of fabric two or three times a year at the most.

I have been back to quilting and sewing for two years now and am surprised at how much fabric I do have. Although I will never be nominated for the ultimate stash queen title, I have more than enough to keep me busy for a long time. I use the ruler fabric folding method and store on 5 of the 8 shelves in a bedroom closet- 4 on each side of closet. I have learned to cut the leftovers using Bonnie Hunter's (www.quiltville.com) system and keep those in clear shoeboxes (I use an index card with size/color placed inside the box so I can see it at the end of the box). I have projects in clear boxes so they stay in my sight and they are written on my white board until they are finished. I have stocked up on fusible fleece, batting and thread when Joann Fabrics has 50% coupons or 50% off sales. If it is not 50% off, then it stays at the store- that way I can buy more fabric. Be on the lookout for sales and be open to doing scrap quilts from yard sales, estate sales, Goodwill, thrift stores or Craigslist posts. When I find the smaller yardage pieces, I either cut them up or put them in a "future project" box. For example, I am collecting pieces for a Red, White, & Black quilt and a Polka Dot (12 Blocks) quilt. Good luck!

I have been quilting for about 15 years now, so I have accumulated a pretty nice stash. I keep telling everyone I am investing in my retirement (cause when I retire I won't be able to afford fabric). LOL

I have fabric that I have bought over the years, many with a project/item in mind & many not. Have gotten rid of alot, yet have bought more. Have worked in fabric shops over the years, no one else in the house but me. Don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't go to the bars, don't go to have my nails done, have something to drink only a few times a year (maybe), don't gamble. The best part is I can always have new clothes & not feel quilty about it. That
    too would include quilting. Just need a gargauge to put my storage in instead of everywhere else. Then I could have an organized sewing/beading/computer room.

Blog Entries
    Yea, what everybody said about accumulating stash, me too.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

I have only been quilting for a short time but sewing most of my life, so a lot of my stash has been accumulated over many years. Now I find that I buy what I need for a project or something I really want and put it away for whenever. Like the rest of you, if I don't get it when I see it, it's gone. I shop the sales at Joann's and Hancock, but still find some great buys at Walmart!
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

I inherited my stash when my Mom passed away. Now it's up to me to use it.

Shari

At the beginning, I would buy to add to my stash at sales. However, over the years, it seems that I don't pull from my stash enough. I either don't have the right color or I no longer like the fabric as well as when I bought it. I now try to pull from my stash on each new project, but most of the time I end up buying more current fabric. I no longer buy to add to my stash but as I need it for a particular project. The exception to this is if I find a fabric that I just love and can't stop thinking about even though I don't have a pattern in mind. I will buy 3 yards of that on occasion (about once a year). I think if I had it to do over again, I would do like you do. Just buy for the current project. Over time you will have a good little stash from the leftovers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RonieM View Post
    I have been quilting for about 15 years now, so I have accumulated a pretty nice stash. I keep telling everyone I am investing in my retirement (cause when I retire I won't be able to afford fabric). LOL
    The last year or two before retirement I bought for retirement. Been retired 10 years now. I don't have the time and can afford most things that I want.

I have been quilting for about a year, I have some stash but not huge. I buy fabric with projects in mind!!

When I heard that fabric prices were going up last year, I took the opportunity (as if I needed any urging) to stock up on as much fabric as possible. Now, I can barely hold it all in my sewing/office room so I shop exclusively from my stash. I freely admit to being a fabriholic, but with prices now being what they are, I have to take it easy for awhile!

Hi! My name is Debbie. I'm a quilt addict and fabri-holic!! LOL I can't help myself!

I should add that a lot of my stash started out when I worked at JoAnn's part time! I just couldn't resist the beautiful fabric when it came in! I spent everything I earned there plus some but I usually got things on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    I've looked at many of the pictures on here and am amazed at how much fabric I see. I've been quilting just a year and buy fabric for each project as I go. Do you all watch for sales and buy to stock up, are these leftovers from other projects? I'm organizing my sewing room now and bookmarked one picture I liked for fabric storage. But I look at it and wonder how I could afford all of the fabric.
    Last edited by kydeb; 02-11-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Most of us have been sewing and quilting for many years. Fabric has a way of multiplying. LOL. I tend to buy more fabric when I find a good sale. I pick up a few yards and pre-cuts every time I go to a quilt show. When I buy fabric for quilt project, I usually buy a little more than I need. You have only been quilting for a year---Give yourself a little time. You wil have a stash before you know it.

Blog Entries
    i add to my stash by buying neutral colors, solids, and whites. otherwise FQ, and something real pretty that catches my fancy. just finished a civil war dear jane repro, and fell in love with CW fabric, so have lots of that now. all the beautiful prints will go with anything.

i keep my fabric on plastic boards. FQ's and yardage. on metal self units with a sheet covering them like a curtain, so the sunlight doesn't get to the material. and i have half a basement that is my sewing room. not real clean, but it is mine.
    Last edited by sewNso; 02-11-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Do not forget the fabric you can accumulate from used clothing. Got a lot of men's shirts I am saving for a quilt. I think I have enough of those for two quilts now. Also I think I have enough ties. I really need to make these quilts up before I collect any more.
    ABCDEFG

I have been sewing for about 40 years and have always loved fabric. I have collected quite a bit and, like many others who have posted here, had great intentions for many a projects but life got in the way. I have almost always had a sewing room, except for the year we lived in our motor home (most of my fabric was in storage then) but I did manage to sew in there. Most of my fabric I've bought on sale, some has been repurposed, found at an estate, yard or rummage sale and lots from the thrift stores (donated probably from people like me that had good intentions). A good stash accumulates over time. When I start a new project, I always shop my stash first but rarely pass up a really, really, good sale.
    Maybe some day it will all be nice and fancy!

Slowly getting back into the swing of things!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast