Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
All the Fabric >

All the Fabric

All the Fabric

Old 02-11-2012, 05:16 PM

Hi! My name is Debbie. I'm a quilt addict and fabri-holic!! LOL I can't help myself!

I should add that a lot of my stash started out when I worked at JoAnn's part time! I just couldn't resist the beautiful fabric when it came in! I spent everything I earned there plus some but I usually got things on sale.

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I've looked at many of the pictures on here and am amazed at how much fabric I see. I've been quilting just a year and buy fabric for each project as I go. Do you all watch for sales and buy to stock up, are these leftovers from other projects? I'm organizing my sewing room now and bookmarked one picture I liked for fabric storage. But I look at it and wonder how I could afford all of the fabric.

Last edited by kydeb; 02-11-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 PM

Most of us have been sewing and quilting for many years. Fabric has a way of multiplying. LOL. I tend to buy more fabric when I find a good sale. I pick up a few yards and pre-cuts every time I go to a quilt show. When I buy fabric for quilt project, I usually buy a little more than I need. You have only been quilting for a year---Give yourself a little time. You wil have a stash before you know it.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 PM

i add to my stash by buying neutral colors, solids, and whites. otherwise FQ, and something real pretty that catches my fancy. just finished a civil war dear jane repro, and fell in love with CW fabric, so have lots of that now. all the beautiful prints will go with anything.

i keep my fabric on plastic boards. FQ's and yardage. on metal self units with a sheet covering them like a curtain, so the sunlight doesn't get to the material. and i have half a basement that is my sewing room. not real clean, but it is mine.

Last edited by sewNso; 02-11-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:35 PM

Do not forget the fabric you can accumulate from used clothing. Got a lot of men's shirts I am saving for a quilt. I think I have enough of those for two quilts now. Also I think I have enough ties. I really need to make these quilts up before I collect any more.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:09 PM

I have been sewing for about 40 years and have always loved fabric. I have collected quite a bit and, like many others who have posted here, had great intentions for many a projects but life got in the way. I have almost always had a sewing room, except for the year we lived in our motor home (most of my fabric was in storage then) but I did manage to sew in there. Most of my fabric I've bought on sale, some has been repurposed, found at an estate, yard or rummage sale and lots from the thrift stores (donated probably from people like me that had good intentions). A good stash accumulates over time. When I start a new project, I always shop my stash first but rarely pass up a really, really, good sale.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:14 PM

My stash just happened -- REALLY ! I have sewn since I can remember about 7th grade making doll clothes. I got a singer for my 8th grade graduation -- still have it plus fw, bernina, serger. I have a really hard time throwing out fabric. When my grandmothers found out I loved to sew; they would pass along fabrics to me. Then my aunties did also. Then after I had 3 children I was sewing clothes for them and saving all the scraps. The stash began to grow more. More handouts; estate sales and garage sales. I now buy for a certain project - mostly grandchildren quilts and some friends quilts; but really refrain from just buying cause I like it. I'm trying to reduce the stash; there is so much good stuff in there. I have more than I need but then who knows how much we'll need ? LOL LOL Happy Quilting !
Old 02-12-2012, 09:52 PM

When my family and friends ask what I would like for my birthday, Mother's day or Christmas, I always say fabric or a gift card to a fabric store. This has worked out great for all of us and has helped me build my stash.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 AM

i myself go to goodwill, and hit garage sales every chance i get thats how i have gotten 90% of my stash. plus when joann's has a 50% off sale i get my big amounts of fabric for projects i plan in the futher. I know its hard to imagine every having nearly half the material that you see some of these quilters have in there stash, but if you do like i have you will find that you have a nice stash before you know it. well good luck hope you get all the fabric you wish for.