Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   All I Want For Christmas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/all-i-want-christmas-t31546.html)

nantucketsue 12-14-2009 08:39 AM

I have been a quilting addict now for over ten years (as an amateur you understand) so when my children ask me what I want for Christmas, why do they raise their eyebrows and pull faces when I say, a couple of fat quarters or some fancy threads would be nice? They then go away and spend oodles of cash on something that they consider to be what I need. I don't want them to spend loads on me, but I really really would love a few surprise FQs or a a selection of fusibles, or other fancy notion that we quilters can never have enough of. I feel like sending out a "wish List" to each of them, but then they will just add it to whatever they have already decided upon, so doubling the expense. It is so exasperating!!!

katier825 12-14-2009 08:54 AM

I understand completely! I'd love a handful of fancy threads or other quilting stuff for Christmas! I'd love to get things I wouldn't ordinarily splurge on. I keep saying I'd love a gift certificate for the quilt shop, but they like to have something for me to open. It could be hard for a non-quilter to select stuff...but a wish list would help them.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 12-14-2009 09:17 AM

This is exactly why adults in our family no longer exchange gifts. Everyone's tastes are so different. We are scattered all over. It's hard to know what someone has or wants. Christmas is for kids only in our family. It really has taken the stress out of the holiday.

grammatjr 12-14-2009 09:57 AM

My hubby has asked me what I want, and I listed a few books, tools etc. But told him what I would really want is a gift certificate to my LQS. He kinda scrunched his nose too. Then I explained some projects that I want to do, and that I won't really have the money for them out of my monthly allowance. I said that I really enjoy quilting and even though I won't be keeping what I make, it really makes me happy. I think he understood, I know that he is thinking of a GC now, becuase he said he couldn't find them online. Maybe we just all need to explain why these things thrill us so much. We probably won't convert all our family, but could sway a few!

marsye 12-14-2009 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All I want is my own fabric shop!! Is that asking too much?

grammatjr 12-14-2009 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by marsye

I usually send my hubby an email with links to what I want.

Where do I find the link to add your wish to my wish list?

LOL I love it! It isn't fair to crack me up at work!

amma 12-14-2009 10:26 AM

LMBO marsye :wink: wouldn't that be fun!!!

Is it because nonquilters think of sewing as a chore? We can buy for "their" hobbys and that is ok, but they don't think of quilting as ours?

amma 12-14-2009 11:03 AM

Maybe you will find them discounted on a after Christmas sale? Or ebay? Half.com? I hope you do not have to wait that long for them Loretta!!!

Lneal 12-14-2009 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by marsye

Now that would make us all happy!!!!!

marsye 12-14-2009 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll share if it happens! But don't hold your breath!