Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   all in one machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/all-one-machine-t82377.html)

grann of 6 12-13-2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
I would think it depends on how much you want (or can) spend on a machine. This is a great web for sewing machine reviews. They are written by the machines owners, not a magazine or anything. http://sewing.patternreview.com/

Also something to consider. How much embroidery do you think you'll actually do? The reason I'm asking is, I have an embroidery/sewing machine combo. I've had it for 7 years and I love it, BUT I've found that changing it back and forth from embroidery mode to sewing machine mode can be a pain, so I've bought another sewing machine and leave my embroidery unit on my combo machine all the time. I very seldom actually just sew with it. What I'm saying is...it's a lot of money to buy the combo and only use part of it. You might want to consider 2 machines instead of one, big expensive machine. Just MHO :)

Let me just say in defense of the combo machines. My Vikings are very easy to switch out the embroidery unit to regular sewing mode. I am lucky that I do have several machines that I use for different purposes, but it is not because of difficulty of use. I like to sew a couple things at a time; so I can embroider on the Diamond while sewing another component on the SE or the Topaz. You really have to think what is best for your uses.

k9dancer 12-13-2010 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by lavenderfire
I am an avid sewer, quilter and machine embroiderer. Does anyone known of a good machine that i can get that will do all three of these functions. I think mine is going to go to machine heaven and i would like to be prepared. I have been looking at thisboard for a few months now and have learned so much. thank you to all you ladies that help everyone and offer such wonderful ideas.

Before you buy a new machine, take a class in free motion embroidery. Yes, you create the design, and you do the stitches. The classes are few and far between, but once you learn that, you will discover that you don't need as expensive a machine. It's a great investment!

retired2pa 12-13-2010 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6

I would think it depends on how much you want (or can) spend on a machine. This is a great web for sewing machine reviews. They are written by the machines owners, not a magazine or anything. http://sewing.patternreview.com/

Also something to consider. How much embroidery do you think you'll actually do? The reason I'm asking is, I have an embroidery/sewing machine combo. I've had it for 7 years and I love it, BUT I've found that changing it back and forth from embroidery mode to sewing machine mode can be a pain, so I've bought another sewing machine and leave my embroidery unit on my combo machine all the time. I very seldom actually just sew with it. What I'm saying is...it's a lot of money to buy the combo and only use part of it. You might want to consider 2 machines instead of one, big expensive machine. Just MHO :)

Let me just say in defense of the combo machines. My Vikings are very easy to switch out the embroidery unit to regular sewing mode. I am lucky that I do have several machines that I use for different purposes, but it is not because of difficulty of use. I like to sew a couple things at a time; so I can embroider on the Diamond while sewing another component on the SE or the Topaz. You really have to think what is best for your uses.

I didn't say it was difficult to switch from embroidery to sewing...I said it was a pain :) My unit detaches with a touch of the touch screen, but I don't want to be doing that all the time. It's a personal preference and I was just trying to point out some things that she might not have thought of.

NanSew 12-13-2010 01:26 PM

Husqvarna Diamond!

nanquilt 12-13-2010 02:17 PM

Isn't it wonderful that there are so many wonderful machines to chose from. I, personally. think there is none as good as the Bernina Series. I especially love having a wonderful shop nearby that sells, services, trains, and has clubs for wonderful sewing, quilting, embroidering. Happy sewing and especially quilting!!

Margie 12-13-2010 02:18 PM

I have Babylock Elegante,Babylock Sophia, Brother Quattro and Bernina 830...all do a great job.

Treasureit 12-13-2010 02:21 PM

I am pretty sure any embroidery machine can also be used for quilting. Just need a walking foot and open toe, etc. I have a Viking Designer SE - it does it all. I just wish I had a longer space to stuff the quilt into when quilting. Maybe look for that feature.

Marysewfun 12-13-2010 03:57 PM

Me, too - I bought separate machines for 2 reasons - one was if part of the machine went down (say embroidery), I didn't want to be without a sewing machine; if I wanted to upgrade, concentrating on one or the other was easier - AND as expressed - the tear down in moving from the sewing machine to embroidery mechanism and back. It probably depends on what you are used to. :-)
Marysewfun

MadQuilter 12-13-2010 04:26 PM

I checked out a class the other day where the embroidery function of the machine was used. Out of curiosity, I asked the gals how they handled the "all in one" functions of their machines and everyone of these women use a DIFFERENT machine for the regular sewing and/or quilting. When the embroidery machine does its thing, they can be sewing on a different machine and all they have to do is change the thread on the embroidery machine before they send it on its merry way to the next part of the embroidery pattern. For me, an all-in-one machine would not be functional.

grann of 6 12-13-2010 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun

Me, too - I bought separate machines for 2 reasons - one was if part of the machine went down (say embroidery), I didn't want to be without a sewing machine; if I wanted to upgrade, concentrating on one or the other was easier - AND as expressed - the tear down in moving from the sewing machine to embroidery mechanism and back. It probably depends on what you are used to. :-)
Marysewfun

But that's what's nice about having the old vintage machines which most of us have. We can use them for the quilting, straight sewing while the embroidery machine is doing its work. I can't disagree with you guys, because I have 4 embroidery machines. I started with the Designer I, upgraded to the SE and kept the D1, then went to the Topaz 30, and then to the Diamond, and kept all the old ones. I never embroider on the D1 or the SE because they don't have the large hoops but use them for my other work. I like the features of the Vikings with the built-in needle threader, auto presser foot drop and raise when sewing, built in thread cutter and many others. The newer ones also have the large throat great for quilting. They also can lower the feed dogs for FMQ. I have only had Singers before the Vikings. Would never have a new Singer again. And I don't know about any of the other machines because there are any other dealers around here.