Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   also have a serger? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/also-have-serger-t20148.html)

Joyce 05-16-2009 08:55 AM

I have found a serger is the only way to go for piecing corduroy for charity quilts. Would be good for any fabric with nap or that is a slippery texture.
Joyce in MI

bearisgray 05-16-2009 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by mamabird3
I am sure I would find use for it if I could figure out how to use the dang thing... I can't quite get it working. Not sure if it is the threading or issues with the machine. I am thinking of just getting rid of it. :cry:

Have you had it serviced recently? Sometimes it's just worth it to have someone else get it going propertly.

The tension settings can be a challenge to get correct.

I do like it for giving a nice edge on seams.

I don't use it for piecing, but I do use it for overcasting edges of fabric before washing.

mamabird3 05-16-2009 07:36 PM

I have a little Singer Baby lock.. It's about 13 years old and I have done nothing on it but sew a few lines. I have taken it out a few times, threaded it and tried to sew but the stitches never come out right. I've looked at the book and still I can't figure it out. I guess you have to be smarter than the machine haha!

Really I guess I need to get with someone who knows what they are doing and get some training on it. I think I could make use of it when I do sundresses for the girls and such. But I just can't seem to get it working right.

TeresaP 05-16-2009 07:37 PM

I once made a patched cover for a play-pen mat just using the overlocker - tha's what we call them down here.
I would be lost without mine as I regularly use it when making items of clothing for my offspring.
Mine is a Janome 3/4 thread and after having worn one out (had it 14 yrs), I recently - about 3yrs ago bought a new one. I love it, but it really requires attention to detail when threading

bearisgray 05-16-2009 07:50 PM

They can be a real pain to rethread.

MadQuilter 05-16-2009 10:19 PM

I had a serger but couldn't get the hang of i, so I gifted it to my sister-in-law.

Elly 05-17-2009 01:55 PM

I never unthread or rethread my serger. (I am lazy) lol

Snip threads up by spools.

Tie knots of old thread and new thread.

Turn all tensions to 0.

Pull thread through.

Thread needle and return tension numbers to normal and serge away.

bearisgray 05-17-2009 02:57 PM

that method works great if the threads are still there

dizzy 05-18-2009 07:19 PM

i happen to have a brother and a singer seger an yes they are very tuchy at times an do have to be threaded just as pictured or they do give you problems.as some of the other ladies were saying there great to sew the ends of your material if your a prewasher.an i do sew clothes to with it love to make teshirt material outfits for running around house an shorts an tanktops dont like the ones w-martsells the straps are to long an shows everything so i makemy self apattern an make my own.

ProLongarmARTQUILTER 05-18-2009 07:43 PM

Ok Do the Quilt as you go thing then go to the back of the thing and instead of all that hand sewing surge it instead, I never thought of it til Mother of Necessity came to call!!! I Don't do hand sewing!!! The new Big Longarm is a better Choice.