Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Alum. Foil replacing batting in doll quilts. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/alum-foil-replacing-batting-doll-quilts-t238204.html)

Rose Marie 01-06-2014 05:31 AM

You have got to be kidding.
Foil is much to easy to rip apart. That's like using toilet paper for batting. Crazy.

charsuewilson 01-06-2014 06:12 AM

Sounds like someone is suggesting using the reflective blankets (aka space blankets) as batting.

ghostrider 01-06-2014 06:57 AM

For doll quilts, it sounds like using foil along with batting in a 'functional' doll quilt is done to more closely immitate the drape of a full size quilt. I would think that using a thinner batt layer like flannel or fleece would be a better alternative than foil for that. A 24x24 square of W&N has virtually no drape at all, but flannel would.

For people quilts, mylar blankets (space blankets) included in the batting layer would loose heating capability due to needle holes from quilting or tying and the distance from the body surface it would have when used that way. The reflective surface works best when closest to the body.

As for using tin foil in quilts for the Salvation Army, that's unimaginable to me. I, too, would like to hear why that's being considered by the OP.

Tartan 01-06-2014 07:21 AM

I too think they may be referring to the space blanket stuff that is for retaining heat. I don't know how well that would work being punctured by the quilting. I think just donating the space blankets themselves would work better.
Saw a story on Good Morning America today about a young man trying to stay warm at a vent in Washington. Apparently, the White House photographer went out to snap a few pictures and this photo was featured in print. Someone on social media notified the parents and they were able to track him down.

BellaBoo 01-06-2014 07:53 AM

LOLOLOL. I love the typo!

Sandi 01-07-2014 04:08 AM

Me either!

Originally Posted by mom-6 (Post 6495346)
Don't understand why aluminum foil would be a good choice?

lclang 01-07-2014 04:14 AM

I have made numerous quilts for doll houses and they were 1" to a foot in scale. I would never use aluminum foil in a doll quilt. They get washed too much for that. I would use either a layer of flannel or another layer of cotton fabric as a batting. That makes them very light and they drape nicely. No need for the quilt to be heavy or "fluffy".

meanmom 01-07-2014 05:48 AM

I make lots of doll quilts for Salvation Army. I have been using fleece for batting. It is almost indestructible and I figure it will hold up to lots of abuse. I also use fleece in the quilts I donate to the homeless and Ronald McDonald. It seems to hold up better than batting. It is really inexpensive when you buy it on sale. It is also really warm. I have thought about switching to fleece for all of my quilts. The only drawback is that it is only 60 inches wide.

Sandrea 01-07-2014 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by tapper (Post 6495686)
Sorry about the typo. It should be 'but', not 'nut'

Oh my gosh, this really made me LOL.....I really chuckled out loud. ha ha It just sounded so funny.

Marysewfun 01-07-2014 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by tapper (Post 6495686)
Sorry about the typo. It should be 'but', not 'nut'

Well you got a chuckle out of me. :-) You never see the best things until they go out in print!

Marysewfun