Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am i daft; is this silly or should i...... I need help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-daft%3B-silly-should-i-i-need-help-t23207.html)

dimplesinjuly 07-25-2009 11:42 AM

Lol, now I feel bad. I saw that you are in Norway. Probably no Joann's...

dimplesinjuly 07-25-2009 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another quick one. I just did a focal fabric in the middle then just did strips around it, all with stuff I had on hand.

sunnyhope 07-25-2009 12:20 PM

Lol, now I feel bad. I saw that you are in Norway. Probably no Joann's...

Lol, no i m afraid no such thing here

Originally Posted by dimplesinjuly
Here's another quick one. I just did a focal fabric in the middle then just did strips around it, all with stuff I had on hand.

However this i could get done, would i be a terrible quilter if i used a kind of velour as backing?? :oops:

dimplesinjuly 07-25-2009 12:41 PM

That would be nice and soft for the baby, just remember it will probably be washed alot.

MadQuilter 07-25-2009 08:33 PM

Hi sunnyhope,

it sounds like you already started on the rail fence. Why don't you want to finish it? Just because the baby is already here does not mean that you can't give the gift later. After all, the little one will not be able to recognize a quilt for a while (and she won't miss not having one.)

This quilt is important for your skill development. I think you will learn a lot just finishing the rail fence. It is a lovely baby pattern and appropriate for a beginning quilter. Nobody will (or should) look at your gift and criticize you for having chosen that pattern. I am sure that a well-done rail fence will be loved and appreciated by the recipient.

My recommendation for you is to stick with it. Finishing feels soooooo good (trust me, I know all about that).

Happy quilting.

bearisgray 07-26-2009 06:40 AM

If the velour is washable, it would work as a backing.

Assuming this is a blanky to be used by the baby.

sunnyhope 07-26-2009 02:39 PM

I m sewing your suggestion right now as this is something i felt i could finish in a reasoable amount of time and i ll either bind it with little ribbons or i will try doing in the ditch, it will be my first time so wish me luck :wink:

ps. i will do a prectice piece first but still i need all the luck i can possibly get :mrgreen:

dimplesinjuly 07-26-2009 03:03 PM

You will do fine with whatever you choose to do. I know that most people love the handmade things. Happy sewing :mrgreen: And show us a pic when your done

sunnyhope 07-26-2009 04:23 PM

You will do fine with whatever you choose to do. I know that most people love the handmade things. Happy sewing :mrgreen: And show us a pic when your done

How do you do the cutting on rag quilts?

deedum 07-26-2009 06:24 PM

Agreed, rail fence is a great quilt for a beginner! So, it will be ready when it is ready, it is like fine wine. It takes some time and love, but when you are ready to give it, you will give it with such pride, then it will be treasured because you gave it to them! I got a charm quilt top ready for a baby born 10 days ago, got to put the batting and backing on it and finish it, not sure when I will get done with it, when the mood hits me! They will love it all the same. They get so many gifts at the beginning, I think they enjoy a gift of love anytime you are ready to give it!