Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I the only one that enjoys the math? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-only-one-enjoys-math-t185275.html)

Moonglow 04-06-2012 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=CorgiNole;5122344]I definitely enjoy the design process and the math involved in altering the size of blocks to alter the end size of the quilt. I have graph paper and pencils at my workspace.

Ditto.

MaryLane 04-06-2012 07:01 PM

See! I knew there were some of you out there.

In college I double majored in Chemistry and Computer Sci with a minor in Math. I like to tell people, "If you look up nerd in the dictionary you will find my picture."

Nice to meet all of you.

Krisb 04-06-2012 07:23 PM

My dad taught math/science for 20 years in high school and 30 years in college. Brother majored in math. I took as little math as possible in college (Differential equations and stats were it), after suffering through years of being "the sophomore girl in physics" and "the only girl in calculus" during high school. But after trying psych, speech, German, anthropology, graduating with a degree in political science, went back and got a degree in accounting and an MBA. Guess you can't disregard the nerd genes.

And still play with graph paper and colored pencils.

dunster 04-06-2012 08:05 PM

When I'm not quilting I'm either reading or doing cross sums (kakuro). Two math degrees and a career in software engineering and I still enjoy it. Even when using EQ7 I usually figure out my own yardage.

Dolphyngyrl 04-06-2012 08:07 PM

I'm good at math and have always liked it

wesing 04-06-2012 08:59 PM

It's the math that got me into quilting. I'm an accountant and enjoy the numbers.

Darren

b.zang 04-06-2012 09:12 PM

It's the math that makes quilting interesting. Challenging my mind to figure out what size to make things and how big they will end up; whether I have enough fabric or not, and what is the best way to cut what I do have. My husband always reminds me to measure twice and cut once, but I still get in a hurry and launch out too soon and then the math really becomes interesting. I bought EQ6 thinking it would do some of the work for me, but I always end up with the graph paper, ruler and pencil. I do my co-worker's math for her, too.

BTW - I'm not a mathematician, nor do I work with numbers (I'm a counsellor!). But, I love puzzles.

azwendyg 04-06-2012 09:26 PM

I'm with you, Mary Jane! I love drafting my own patterns or adapting others to the size and number of blocks I want. Math has always been fun for me so it just adds to my enjoyment of the whole process of quilting.

redmadder 04-07-2012 02:06 AM

I love the math part. Could someone post the derivative for HSTs? a squared +b squared = c squared.
Or 2(a squared) = c squared

seam-ripper-sue 04-07-2012 02:32 AM

Yep, I'm another who loves to do the math in creating a pattern. I think it adds excitment to the project. It's thrilling to see the finished product match up at all the corners and points.