Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one that enjoys the math?

Am I the only one that enjoys the math?

It seems whenever I am around other quilters I always hear, "Oh, that involves math and I don't do/like math."

I love that part of the creating. Am I the only one? There has to be another person or two on here that enjoys math. Speak up, please!

I do quilt math and I do cooking math. I don't mind either one. I have a printing calculator sitting on my desk to do all my quilt math on.

Blog Entries
    I am sure there is. I struggle to understand math. So the math involved in quilting is a struggle. I'd like to like it.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

I definitely enjoy the design process and the math involved in altering the size of blocks to alter the end size of the quilt. I have graph paper and pencils at my workspace.

Cheers, K

I am pretty sure there's only you and a couple of others. LOL!!

I'm with you, MaryLane!!! Love that part of it. Often, I will work out a pattern for myself from a picture. They've always worked out. (I am a retired math teacher). LOL

Blog Entries
    I love math! Took every math class that was availble in high school. Also, did scale drawings in biology. My most used quilting book is a graph paper pad and some el-cheapo colored pencils. Can duplicate almost any geometric design I see. I don't do art quilts. Mary Lane, you are not alone!

One of my favorite parts of quilting is graphing out a layout and determining yardage and cutting layouts. I do the math on scratch paper without a calculator. I like to use legal pads, a ruler, and pen.
    Last edited by elizajo; 04-06-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    Elizabeth

The math is what keeps me quilting, without it I'd be bored to tears. I tutored it in HS, started out majoring in it in college (later switched), was an accountant all my working life, seek out Numb3rs reruns on cable...love it all. Math quilts, fractal quilts, tessellating quilts, optical quilts...those are my favorites to design and create. As for the comment about art quilts...many successful art quilters have a very solid background in math and/or science.

Elaine Ellison does amazing math quilts.
    http://www.mathematicalquilts.com/Ma...s_-_Image.html
    http://gallery.bridgesmathart.org/ex...eellisonelaine
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

QM
    I used to teach math and I do enjoy it, but usually I design with Quilt Pro, which does much of the math for me.

[QUOTE=CorgiNole;5122344]I definitely enjoy the design process and the math involved in altering the size of blocks to alter the end size of the quilt. I have graph paper and pencils at my workspace.

Ditto.

See! I knew there were some of you out there.

In college I double majored in Chemistry and Computer Sci with a minor in Math. I like to tell people, "If you look up nerd in the dictionary you will find my picture."

Nice to meet all of you.

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    My dad taught math/science for 20 years in high school and 30 years in college. Brother majored in math. I took as little math as possible in college (Differential equations and stats were it), after suffering through years of being "the sophomore girl in physics" and "the only girl in calculus" during high school. But after trying psych, speech, German, anthropology, graduating with a degree in political science, went back and got a degree in accounting and an MBA. Guess you can't disregard the nerd genes.

And still play with graph paper and colored pencils.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

When I'm not quilting I'm either reading or doing cross sums (kakuro). Two math degrees and a career in software engineering and I still enjoy it. Even when using EQ7 I usually figure out my own yardage.

I'm good at math and have always liked it

It's the math that got me into quilting. I'm an accountant and enjoy the numbers.

Darren

Blog Entries
    It's the math that makes quilting interesting. Challenging my mind to figure out what size to make things and how big they will end up; whether I have enough fabric or not, and what is the best way to cut what I do have. My husband always reminds me to measure twice and cut once, but I still get in a hurry and launch out too soon and then the math really becomes interesting. I bought EQ6 thinking it would do some of the work for me, but I always end up with the graph paper, ruler and pencil. I do my co-worker's math for her, too.

BTW - I'm not a mathematician, nor do I work with numbers (I'm a counsellor!). But, I love puzzles.
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

Blog Entries
    I'm with you, Mary Jane! I love drafting my own patterns or adapting others to the size and number of blocks I want. Math has always been fun for me so it just adds to my enjoyment of the whole process of quilting.
    Wendy

I love the math part. Could someone post the derivative for HSTs? a squared +b squared = c squared.
    Or 2(a squared) = c squared
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Yep, I'm another who loves to do the math in creating a pattern. I think it adds excitment to the project. It's thrilling to see the finished product match up at all the corners and points.
    Linda Sue **** Live,Laugh & Sew

I am a fine artist and art teacher by profession so I am quite used to "doing my own thing" I always start with paper and pencil, at this point I don't know any other way.

Joann

same here.

I love it too!
    ELIZAJANE

Blog Entries
    Me too (math major). I also like to just analyze blocks I see on line. I keep a pad of graph paper next to the PC and when I see a quilt, I try and draft the blocks. I find it fun to find the repeating block, which often isn't the 'main' pieced pattern. Even though I can calculate the angles of the blocks I draw, I usually resort to paper piecing the ones with lots of angles.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I don't mind creating my own quilts, but I use the "KISS method" (keep it simple stupid). I've been clear through calculus in college, but that part of the brain is in remission and gives me no assistance when it comes to figuring HST and such. So unless I can find a HST size from another pattern that will work for me, I don't.....I will do something else!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast