Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one that enjoys the math?

It's not really 'rocket science', so I find it enjoyable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey1 View Post
    I am pretty sure there's only you and a couple of others. LOL!!
    Mickey1,
    Between us, I think she's likely the only one! But thank goodness she's out there or the rest of us would have a tough go of it. So Thank you, MaryLane, and all the versions of you that help the rest of us!
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Quote Originally Posted by LTeachergeorge View Post
    I'm with you, MaryLane!!! Love that part of it. Often, I will work out a pattern for myself from a picture. They've always worked out. (I am a retired math teacher). LOL
    Me, too. I started out to be a math major in college and switched to Home Economics as I planned to teach and thought it sounded like a lot more interesting things to teach children. Love working out the patterns for mayself.

Banned
    They don't teach math in quilting classes any more. All is figured out for you. However, I have been doing some lecture/demos at the local quilt shop and the most asked question is how to figure yardage and make a block different sizes. After reading all the posts above.....let me tell you it doesn't take a degree or advanced study to do this. Just some simple elementary school arithmetic. If 2 plus 2 is 4 then 3 plus 3 must be six.....
    The only thing that might be difficult for quilters is thinking in square inches of a color in a block and then that number in a square yard of fabric. I'm about to jump into the YTube technology and that is one of the subjects I'm working on.

I always end up calling my sister in California because I can't figure it out! She loves this, because usually I am the smart one. Ha ha!

Don't count on me for loving math!

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I love the math part of quilting! I always loved math in high school and college, and I love being able to apply the math to quilting!

I don't care for math...but I will try as long as I have a formula...I am so NOT left brained....
    Kitty

My graph paper is my first step in almost all my quilts.

Power Poster
    Wouldn't be me, usually have to call a quilter friend.

Me, too. I have always loved math! Like figuring things out.

Quote Originally Posted by scraphq View Post
    I love math! Took every math class that was availble in high school. Also, did scale drawings in biology. My most used quilting book is a graph paper pad and some el-cheapo colored pencils. Can duplicate almost any geometric design I see. I don't do art quilts. Mary Lane, you are not alone!

I love math. I sometimes solve polynomial equations in my head for fun.

yuk is all I can say...not me...

Not sure what you mean by "the derivative" for HSTs. Derivative is a calculus function. Also, the "formulas" quoted only apply to right triangles in which the "legs" are labeled "a" and "b" and the hypotenuse is labeled "c". A more general version would state that the "sum of the squares of the legs is equal to the square of the hypotenuse". I, too, am a retired math and computer science teacher. I spent a lot of years teaching AP calculus to great kids (both in high school and college).

I'm a retired math teacher, so "yes!" I do like math - it's second nature to me. I also feel that lots of "math haters" just didn't have good math teachers to let them in on the secret delights. One of the biggest hits in a geometry class I taught was the day that I invited one of our school secretaries in as a guest presenter. When I asked her to come and talk to my class about her quilting hobby she thought I was crazy. Well, guess what? She came and brought lots of samples, told the kids about the block names, let them touch and see all of the geometric shapes involved. Turned that lady into a "rock star"! The kids had a new-found respect for that "lady in the office". She was delighted with their response to her "little hobby".

I find myself calculating 'how much fabric needed' for friends' quilts. I love getting my friends started on my love of quilting but I'm always the one they call when they start a new quilt...... and I've always loved math.... my husband had me figure the area for the bulldozer to dig the basement for our son's new house..... he'd spent a couple of days trying and couldn't get it right...... Yeah for math!

I know people like to make fun of the nerds and nerdettes out there but I always say, nerds and nerdettes RULE!! Literally, they do rule!! I'm proud to be a nerdette!

I do not particularly "enjoy" the math but I am learning to enjoy the intrigue of planning a quilt and calculating proficiently enough to make the final product measure what my plan was. I guess I am on the road to enjoying the math. Triangles still catch me off guard often, particularly when enlarging or shrinking a pattern to fit my needs.

I know the lead of my quilt quilt just LOVES!!!!! the math. We all go to her when we get stuck. I have learned a lot from her. Board members find the one who love the math and sit close them to learn that the math is not as hard as you fear it may be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
    It seems whenever I am around other quilters I always hear, "Oh, that involves math and I don't do/like math."

I love that part of the creating. Am I the only one? There has to be another person or two on here that enjoys math. Speak up, please!
    In one word, YES.

I hate the math, but I do it anyway. The outcome is worth the frustration.

Blog Entries
    I enjoy the math. I also make sure I let my 11 yr old son see me using math in my quilting as well as in cooking, paying the bills, etc. He's not as keen for math as me, so it takes this to show him that "Yes" he will need his math skills for "real life" after school.

I love it when the absolutes of math work out in quilting . For instance, no matter how wide you cut your double fold binding, when you get to the part where you need to join it to finish it - the amount of overlap will be exactly the widlth of your binding - unfolded! If you cut it that way, you just join the ends on an angle and it fits perfectly.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
    It seems whenever I am around other quilters I always hear, "Oh, that involves math and I don't do/like math."

I love that part of the creating. Am I the only one? There has to be another person or two on here that enjoys math. Speak up, please!
    I know basic math quite well, so I enjoy arranging my own blocks in whatever size I want. It's hard for me to remember that so many people can't do that. And I can copy almost any pattern that does not involve curves.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Oh, ye of little faith!
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    I don't mind creating my own quilts, but I use the "KISS method" (keep it simple stupid). I've been clear through calculus in college, but that part of the brain is in remission and gives me no assistance when it comes to figuring HST and such. So unless I can find a HST size from another pattern that will work for me, I don't.....I will do something else!

Hey, the beauty of HSTs is that oversized ones can always be whittled down.
    U N T I E

What I wish is that all the non-math folks would cut a few dozen squares, from graph paper if necessary. Color some as full squares, color some as HST, color some as the next step that I don't have a name for (like an hour glass) and color those. Then go to the table and play with the squares. Maybe find a few of the old faithful quilt block designs and discover there is no MAGIC FORMULA to most quilt blocks. Just simple designs.

I'd guess that most of those folks could ferret out the patterns of many quilts for themselves in very short time.
    Oh, and throw in a few rectangles along the way, too.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
    It's not really 'rocket science', so I find it enjoyable.
    That's the whole thing, there's nothing mysterious about math. Look at our toddlers. They can Lego all sorts of stuff------------and legos of a specific size are all variations of a single small square unit.
    U N T I E

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast