Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Am I the only one that enjoys the math?

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I do like the math part .... except when I make a mistake( and its always a really simple math one/common sense that I goof) and don't catch it before I am too far into it for a quick solution.
    That would have been me today. I was cutting fabric the framing piece of the Warm Wishes quilt. I'd made a note about something else and used that note to cut a couple strips---------------------THE WRONG SIZE.

All is good, I can use them for binding!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Power Poster
    I also enjoy the "figuring out" part of making a quilt.

Even a bit of trig gets used now and then for calculating angles.

Calculators are helpful - but one still needs to know which buttons/keys to press to get a useful result!

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    math is what I do when I can't sleep. I figure how many inches of a color I need for a pattern so I can pick from my stash. If a patterns says 1/4 yard, you might actually need only 6". I go to Keepsake Quilting's tent sale and you can stuff a plastic bag with random sized pieces, I wash, press then write how much is there on the selvedge for future reference. I have oodles of graph paper tablets and use them for writing notes too.
    I was on the math team in high school and studied architecture and building in college...not so good in English and history.

piney
    I design houses when I want to put myself to sleep. Need math for that!
    U N T I E

Yes... maybe a couple of others.
    Save the Earth!

Itís the only planet with Chocolate.

any one know how many hst's I will need to make a 40x60 rainbow "Roy G Biv" quilt?
    Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachga11?ref=si_shop

Power Poster
    I am also a graph paper and colored pencil person.

I did indulge in the largest set of colored pencils available about ten years ago.

Like scraphq - I can do most geometric designs - but the others are beyond me.

I enjoy the math part, too. most of what I make i draw out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmanyideas View Post
    any one know how many hst's I will need to make a 40x60 rainbow "Roy G Biv" quilt?

What size of finished block do you want? With the dimensions of 40 x 60, I'd say using 5" blocks, that would leave you with no need for a border. And do you need those exact measurements? Generally a 60" long quilt is 45" wide.
    For 60 " long you'll need 12 rows of 5" finished blocks. For 40" wide you need 8 blocks across (total 96) and 9 blocks across for 45" (total 108).Bear in mind those HST will have to start a bit larger to allow for the seam. Many of the quilters here would try to be very precise, I'd just cut 6" blocks, stitch, cut, and square up to 5 1/2 before sewing together. If you need a border, drop 2 rows, and 2 blocks across. Then add borders that would finish out at 5" . Or if you wanted a much smaller border, say 2 1/2", drop one row and one block across.

5" and 10" are the only two block sizes that will come out to 40 x 60. If you are flexible on size, you can use almost any size of block and just quit when you reach the finished size you want.
    U N T I E

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4