Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one that enjoys the math?

In my former field I used a lot of math - mainly in 1/8th's, so I'm very comfortable with it. It's perfect with my quilting, of course, so its useful. I think most of the time if you sat down with someone who is comfortable with math themselves you can learn it on a practical level, and then it doesn't seem so daunting. I wasn't into math in school, but its amazing what you learn as you get older and your interests change!

Oh boy!!!! We now have all the math helpers names!!!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Scraps View Post
    Oh boy!!!! We now have all the math helpers names!!!! :-)
    While I don't mind doing my own math I refuse to do 5th grade math for other people. Buy a calculator.

My daughter is a math whiz. When I need something calculated she does it for me. on the other hand, when she needs something written, I do for her. she has difficulty writing coherently. We balance each other!

I have two degrees, one in Business Administration and the other in Elementary Education. In my first degree, I survived the math classes by memorizing formulas. I learned more about everyday math in my education methods classes. I learned there to see the math in everyday objects and experiences.

My favorite math related quilting project was to plan seven scrappy quilts for my nieces in controlled color palettes. I don't stash much fabric, but I do like to use lots of different fabrics in my quilts. I'm also frugal, so I try to map out how I can use each piece of fabric several quilts with little waste.

My quilting time was greatly reduced when I returned to work and also needed to sew some clothing, but I still have my cutting diagrams and occasionally take a few hours to cut some new fabric and file it away in my project boxes.
    Elizabeth

I never felt I was good at math but now that I've been quilting, I find the challenge of math is part of the fun, and I'm always proud of myself when I figure things out!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I don't mind the numbers...can't say it keeps me intrigued, but I can do it.

Fabriclovr
    It is interesting to see how many of you don't mind the math. I have a degree in clothing and textiles and cant add without a calculator, I hate math and my father was a rocket scientist and my mother a statistician! But when it comes to fractions.. I can do them in my head! I use EQ7 and have since is was EQ3 and I let the program do the angles and geometry stuff, but when it comes to yardage, I do my own calculations.

Quilting math is not that hard and you don't need a single or double or master degree in anything to figure that one out. A cheep 10 key calculator with 4 basic functions or the Quilting Calculator or an app on your phone or tablet or computer .... doesn't matter, as long as you know what the correlation between the fraction, the dismal and the inches on the ruler are, you can figure anything out! (they make lists and charts for that, read this thread.. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t183214.html )

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey1 View Post
    I am pretty sure there's only you and a couple of others. LOL!!
    AMEN and AMEN, Mickey!! If it doesn't have an existing pattern to follow, it's not in my quilting folder. I just barely made it through Geometry!!! I do WISH I had had a different attitude toward math back then, but my life has been just fine with grammar school math
    "Worry is about doing something you can do nothing about."

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Love the math and the challenge of puzzling out problems. I'm just glad some of my eduction wasn't a waste.

Many teachers are now using quilts to teach math.
    http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/l...lt-square-math
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
    A cheep 10 key calculator with 4 basic functions or the Quilting Calculator or an app on your phone or tablet or computer .... doesn't matter, as long as you know what the correlation between the fraction, the dismal and the inches on the ruler are, you can figure anything out! (they make lists and charts for that, read this thread.. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t183214.html )
    Boy, talk about a Freudian slip! Well said, fabriclovr! (decimal, I know)
    Last edited by ghostrider; 04-07-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Boy, talk about a Freudian slip! Well said, fabriclovr! (decimal, I know)
    Oops, oh well.. gotta love spell checkers!

One of Quilt University's most popular classes is Math for Quilters taught by Dena Crain. (I had her for another class and she's terrific.) The next session of the class starts April 27th. It's $27 for a 3 lesson class. It covers everything...even guidance on how to set prices. Here's the supply list and outline.
    http://www.quiltuniversity.com/w/MathForQuilters.htm

As a former math teacher and working in statistics and accounting... well, I love playing around with the math. It is creative for me.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I love it too. From the minute I started quilting, I have wondered why math was never explained by making quilts. I struggled so hard in trig, algebra and geometry. If I knew about quilts then, they would've been a breeze. Though my friends laugh at me when they ask a math question and I start spouting formulae off...

math is what I do when I can't sleep. I figure how many inches of a color I need for a pattern so I can pick from my stash. If a patterns says 1/4 yard, you might actually need only 6". I go to Keepsake Quilting's tent sale and you can stuff a plastic bag with random sized pieces, I wash, press then write how much is there on the selvedge for future reference. I have oodles of graph paper tablets and use them for writing notes too.
    I was on the math team in high school and studied architecture and building in college...not so good in English and history.

piney

Piney, that is funny because that is what I do when I can't sleep. I lay in bed and calculate yardage needed, overall size, effect of border or sashing width changes, etc..

I do like the math part .... except when I make a mistake( and its always a really simple math one/common sense that I goof) and don't catch it before I am too far into it for a quick solution.

RDM
    Blog Entries
    Math is not my area of expertise, but don't mind doing equations for my quilts. I usually keep it simple. I admire those people who can take the numbers and in 30 seconds have it all figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
    I love the math part. Could someone post the derivative for HSTs? a squared +b squared = c squared.
    Or 2(a squared) = c squared
    Since a=b for HST 2(a squared) = c squared. When I figure the size of the diagonal, c=a (squareroot of 2). For my squareroot of 2 = 1.414... So I use a times 1.5 (which means it is a bit larger), then I trim it down.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I like the math--as long as I don't get it wrong. I have to learn to trust my own conclusions. Lately, I just add a 1/4-1/2 meter to the amount I think I'll need. I am tired of sweating the last few cuts because of figuring too close.

Oh and my kids both love math. We moved around a lot during their school years and they always said that numbers never changed--no matter what language was spoken.
    Last edited by GingerK; 04-07-2012 at 06:30 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I hated math since I never "got it" in high school...but later on, it started to make sense as I used it for quilting. I got pretty confident with the basics and ended up teaching 6th grade math for several years----loved every minute! I sooo understood how frustrated my students were, and why! Quilting math comes easily to me. To the writer that said she won't do 5th grade math for others----well, I will, and I have. Takes little of my time but when I explain how I did the calculations, I might just create another slightly-less-math-phobic-quilter!!!!
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

You can do anything if you want too my Dad always told me so thanks Dad for teaching me i use math in my quilts

Blog Entries

The calculations are part of the fun.....there are so many fun parts to quilting that is why there is a tiny moment of sadness after the elation of seeing the finished quilt.....and a very good reason to have one in the planning stage while sewing on the binding of the current one......................it is an addiction, but not harmfull.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast