Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I the only one who hates their machine threader? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-only-one-who-hates-their-machine-threader-t33548.html)

mcw1947 01-09-2010 08:26 PM

I use mine rarely...........but thought myself a imbecle that It did not work in a consistant manner.....I do will not kick myself for not using it !.

Bevsie 01-09-2010 09:14 PM

Hi,

I sure don't hate mine....my Babylock machines all have threaders and they are easy to use and work 99.9% of the time for me. I love the threader.....no glasses needed! LOL
It's up there with my favorite, the scissor key!

Bev

missionslady 01-09-2010 10:07 PM

The threader on my Janome Threadbanger 30 worked great until it got bent. The first time I took it to the dealer and he replaced it without charge. I tried to be very careful after that, but eventually, it quit working again. I'm sure it is bent. After reading your comments I will try and gently press it back in place. If not, I will get a replacement (I'm sure I'll have to pay this time), because it is such a convenience to have when it works! It really is the easiest threader I've used.

ConnieF 01-10-2010 03:59 AM

So much negitive here on the needle threader. I have it on 3 machines and I love it and they always work. One machine is 15 year old and works everytimg. I am with you I love them especially when doing emb and changing threads so often....
I haven't ever had anyproblems since I learned needle up and be slow to begin till you learn how.... would be lost with my bi focals if I didnt have them.... Happy quilting... and I sold machines for a while and yes it is great for the new emb machines

ConnieF 01-10-2010 04:01 AM

me to love the threader on 3of my Vikings and one is 2 are over 15 years ols and still work just fine and never had adjusted but I am always careful not to force it

pam1966 01-10-2010 04:52 AM

Ok, so I tried the one on my Bernina again using the tips here, and it worked! However, the one on my babylock- NO! I think it hates me.

So I guess I'm 50/50 about this now. ;)

Roberta 01-10-2010 06:30 AM

I've got two machines and can't use mine either. I find that it's better for me to put a small piece of white paper behind the needle to see the hole and then thread it. Even if it's a light thread, you can see the eye quite clearly.

Granny B 01-10-2010 12:21 PM

My 1985 Bernina doesn't have one and we get along just fine. My Vicking Designer I has one and it has never worked from day one! It's one gadget I really don't need, I guess.

nellebelles 01-10-2010 06:47 PM

I have a Designer SE and also a Sapphire 870. I don't think I could live without the needle threaders! They work great. If you find that yours doesn't work well, it could just be an adjustment problem. When you take your machine for it's service, ask the technician to adjust your needle threader too. When my husband worked on machines, he always adjusted the needle threader as part of his service. I am pretty lucky--he works on mine if it ever gets out of line.
Also, about the thread cutter--I love that feature too! I did find that with some threads, it would cut too short and unthread the needle. It was usually cheap thread I was using and once I changed to better thread, the problem was solved!

weezie 01-10-2010 07:19 PM

I rarely use mine. I prefer small needles for most of my sewing and the auto. threaders will not thread a needle with a small eye. At the one and only ME class I attended, I was "highly encouraged" (to put it as politely as I can) to use the needle threader every time I change colors in machine embroidery. The dang thing really likes to shred the embroidery thread, both rayon and polyester. Also, I can thread the needle myself quicker than the auto threader can do it. Some people swear by them and love them, but not me.

Two of my machines came with knee lifters and I never use those either. I believe you can teach old dogs new tricks, but the knee lifter is about as irritating to me as is the auto. needle threader.