Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I overly cautious during storms? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-overly-cautious-during-storms-t152241.html)

quiltymom 09-12-2011 04:55 PM

I also do the same!!!

Arleners 09-12-2011 04:56 PM

A number of years ago, when my son was an infant there was a severe thunder storm. My husband was asleep in his recliner with our son in his arms. All of a sudden, the lights got super bright and then went out. We smelled smoke. We ran out of the house into the storm and went to a neighbors to call the fire department.
When they got there, they went inside. Thank God a fire had not started, but our television, and our refrigerator were ruined. Also, every light that had been turned on was burned out.
A tree branch had knocked out the neutral line., whatever that is, and caused a power surge in the house.
NO you are not being over cautious. :thumbup:

ButtermilkMama 09-12-2011 05:10 PM

I unplug everything possible!!!!!

ann31039 09-12-2011 05:47 PM

i lost my computer to lightning. had it plugged into a surge protector also. the lightning ran in on the phone line!! (back in the good ole days of dial up)

ging10ging 09-12-2011 06:36 PM

i always unplug to be on the safe side. when we first moved into our house in fl. we had a bad ts and the lightening hit our garage door opener and fried it. we was lucky the guy that came out told us but replaced it for free. i don't trust those ts they can be dangerous. it pays to be careful it just kills not to get anything done. sue

Momsmurf 09-12-2011 07:12 PM

Not in my book as I do the same. Actually, my machines are unplugged whenever I stop using them for the day.
I also have the toaster unplugged unless I'm right there and using it. When we go out of town the coffeemaker is "dead" - which my husband doesn't appreciate because it has a clock built in. But it's one that grinds the beans before brewing and I have had one short out - thankfully while I was standing right next to it so I was able to unplug it immediately.

I also avoid the phones during storms...

cherrio 09-12-2011 07:12 PM

Our home was struck by lightening 4 yrs ago and killed the frig and my sewing machine. I still sew in the kitchen but now I have a special surge with the frig and I unplug everything else that would cost too much to replace. so basically I leave the lamps and alarm clocks plugged in. lol

katigirl 09-12-2011 11:35 PM

Betty safe than sorry. One time my sister's tv got blown up so I know it can happen.

Dawn227 09-13-2011 01:55 AM

I love the question. While it is always safe to unplug, I have physical trouble getting under the desk, and sewing tables.
DH searched online and stores and found some higher jewel rates surge protectors that guarantee your equiptment is safe.. Mind you like our equiptment, they do not come cheap! If I remember right they ran about $35.00, if you are on a tighter budget like I was at that time I'd rather get one of those for a gift than a gift card.
Peace of mind
Dawn NY

no time 2 sew 09-13-2011 11:58 AM

Nope!!!ask me how I know. Just lost 2 machines to lighting that did not hit the house but a tall tree in our back yard.Split the tree in and half and we had bark and splinters everywhere.