Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I a Snob Because I Don't like Crumb Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-snob-because-i-dont-like-crumb-quilts-t104524.html)

bigdogmom 03-05-2011 05:27 PM

One of the nice things about quilting is there are so many choices out there. I don't do the art type quilts and lean more to traditional,but I do appreciate the talents art quilter give to their designs. So, we all have our likes and dislikes but we are all bound by "fabric love"

Dee 03-05-2011 08:36 PM

To each their own. I really don't care too much about them either.

sewTinker 03-05-2011 09:03 PM

I think of them as utility quilts. Great for picnics and forts. I made one a long time back - foundation pieced it on muslin so it would be extra warm, and donated it to a homeless shelter. They were thrilled to get it, I had an empty scrap bin, and I felt good too. (I try to do little things for the shelters as my brother was homeless for much of his life, and could be again...). Next on my list is a qayg string quilt.

Margie 03-06-2011 05:20 PM

No, not a snob at all. People have likes and dislikes...nothing to do with snobbery. Look at art, books, singers,music...all different and people like or dislike different kinds.

deedum 03-06-2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Nope. I don't like Batiks. It's just a personal preference.

I don't like Batiks either, but I love the Crumb Quilts!

Alondra 03-06-2011 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by grugirl
I am not finding much about crumb quilts that I like at all and see them as a huge waste of time to put so many itty bitties together that make nothing cohesive anyhow. Am I a quilt snob because of this?

Nope, not a snob. Personally, I don't like one-block wonders - just my quirk - can't think of even one thing I like about them. But then I love HSTs and QSTs, so you know I'm a little dotty.

mayday 03-09-2011 10:27 AM

I do like them and the patience put in, BUT to each their own, I HATE ,HATE , HATE quilts whatever the pattern that have been [usually] quilted by machine to within an inch of their life and cannot even contemplate what goes thro the minds of those who do it, they give me the creeps and are NOT comforting at all, SO ,NO I don't think either you or I are snobs , merely exercising our taste.

rob529 03-16-2011 06:19 PM

I feel the opposite. I really finding it rewarding to be able to use those little pieces to create something beautiful. You do have to be careful in which scarps you choose to use together. Different opinions make the world go round. Wait, are crumb quilts and scrap quilts the same? I love using scraps still.
Robin in TX

I am not finding much about crumb quilts that I like at all and see them as a huge waste of time to put so many itty bitties together that make nothing cohesive anyhow. Am I a quilt snob because of this?[/quote]

katieranch 03-17-2011 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by mayday
I do like them and the patience put in, BUT to each their own, I HATE ,HATE , HATE quilts whatever the pattern that have been [usually] quilted by machine to within an inch of their life and cannot even contemplate what goes thro the minds of those who do it, they give me the creeps and are NOT comforting at all, SO ,NO I don't think either you or I are snobs , merely exercising our taste.

I quilt by machine, usually just a meandering pattern. I also don't like any quilt that is over quilted.