Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I a Snob Because I Don't like Crumb Quilts

I am not finding much about crumb quilts that I like at all and see them as a huge waste of time to put so many itty bitties together that make nothing cohesive anyhow. Am I a quilt snob because of this?

no, its just not your style. we all have different styles and tastes

No, everyone to their own choice. Takes a lot of patience.

Nope. I don't like Batiks. It's just a personal preference.

Blog Entries
    I may as well get slapped in the face.....but I will just keep my mouth shut.
    No comment.....

Blog Entries
    We like what we like and dislike what we dislike. I don't like grandmother's flower garden. That said, I do appreciate all the work that goes in but at shows, I usually breeze by those.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    YES!!! hahahaa just kidding..you like what you like but not liking something is different then being a snob.. IF you snub your nose down on me or anyone who LOVES crumbs (ME!!!) then yup.. I would call ya a snob.. :XD: (please know Im laughing as Im writing this..No insult intended - unless your really a snob then I take it all back! lol... )

here's my crumb quilt...Yup you guessed it it has become a ufo till I finish my others.. But hey Im adding to my 'crumb' stash' Whoo Hoo!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-67955-1.htm

Blog Entries
    You are not a snob because they are not your thing. I just made one. I was really trying to empty my scrap basket. I had lots of fun making it and I loved that it didn't cost me anything to make. I used scraps of batting too so it was a free quilt.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-103251-5.htm#2642724

Quote Originally Posted by cctx.
    I may as well get slapped in the face.....but I will just keep my mouth shut.
    No comment.....
    LOL...

I save the crumbs... then look at them and wonder why I do. I like organized scrappy quilts... not hodge-podge ones, so I probably would have to say I am with you on this. I rarely find a crumb quilt that gets my attention. I don't think it is snobbish... just a personal preference. I have to admit that I look at a lot of quilts and wrinkle my nose. I've even done it to a couple of my own when I got them finished. :lol:

You are not a snob at all, we all have personal preferences. How boring would the world be if we all liked the same things.

Blog Entries
    Yes, Yes you are, but we all got something we don't like. I don't see the point in FMQ and putting squigglies all over a perfectly good quilt. Supposedly that makes me a snob, so Hey, join the club!!

Quote Originally Posted by KatFish
    You are not a snob because they are not your thing. I just made one. I was really trying to empty my scrap basket. I had lots of fun making it and I loved that it didn't cost me anything to make. I used scraps of batting too so it was a free quilt.

I did check out this quilt you made. I like how some of the blocks remind me of things.. or were intended to.. like one block that looks like a house somewhat. I guess what I want to know now ... WHAT IS CONSIDERED a CRUMB? I keep Tons of scraps and love them all, but nothing that is shorter and thinner than my little pinky. it just seems to me that the two seam allowances would take up most of that fabric anyhow when sewn. What IS A CRUMB TO ALL OF YOU?

Quote Originally Posted by CloverPatch
    Yes, Yes you are, but we all got something we don't like. I don't see the point in FMQ and putting squigglies all over a perfectly good quilt. Supposedly that makes me a snob, so Hey, join the club!!
    I love you already Clover.

Blog Entries
    I love crumb quilts and scrappy quilts. Art quilts are not my thing at all. They are lovely I appreciate the talent and work involved but not for me. To each their own, no right or wrong. Enjoy the quilting you like to do. For me it's all about my passion and fun. Happy quilting:)

Quote Originally Posted by grammyp
    You are not a snob at all, we all have personal preferences. How boring would the world be if we all liked the same things.
    So very true GrammyP. Our taste variations are what make our creativity thrive. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What makes you think that everyone should like exactly the same things and if they don't, something or someone is wrong? And why should you care whether you like or dislike something different than other people? We are all individuals with differing tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I love crumb quilts and scrappy quilts. Art quilts are not my thing at all. They are lovely I appreciate the talent and work involved but not for me. To each their own, no right or wrong. Enjoy the quilting you like to do. For me it's all about my passion and fun. Happy quilting:)
    See... now that is the strange thing. I love scrappy quilts like charm quilts. Love the tessellations especially but don't like unorganized.. just different fabrics.

I saw a lady on Simply Quilts that pieced tiny bits of the same colors & hues together and just kept doing it until she had about a fat eighth size piece. Then she used those fat eighths to make a small wallhanging. The demo piece she showed was a sunflower so she had used greens, browns, yellows and some off-white. It looked really cool when she was finished. I suppose you could do the same thing with leaders & enders but I'd have to be really, really bored to sit and purposely sew all those itty bitty pieces together just to cut them up for a mosaic looking wallhanging but if you really wanted to make use of every scrap and prove how thrifty you can be--crumbs definitely prove it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by KatFish

I did check out this quilt you made. I like how some of the blocks remind me of things.. or were intended to.. like one block that looks like a house somewhat. I guess what I want to know now ... WHAT IS CONSIDERED a CRUMB? I keep Tons of scraps and love them all, but nothing that is shorter and thinner than my little pinky. it just seems to me that the two seam allowances would take up most of that fabric anyhow when sewn. What IS A CRUMB TO ALL OF YOU?
    I consider anything smaller than 1 1/2" x3" to small to do anything with. Anything smaller gets thrown into a pre-sewn pillowcase that become the dogs bed.

Blog Entries
    I am not finding much about crumb quilts that I like at all and see them as a huge waste of time to put so many itty bitties together that make nothing cohesive anyhow. Am I a quilt snob because of this?
    On your avatar, are you holding ducklings?
    I have ducks and a goose (raised them as babies too)

Here's one photo of my gang:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, ducklings I hatched.

Blog Entries

Yes, ducklings I hatched.

What kind are yours?
    I have mallards and Pekings (not shown is the Peking white), the black is Mallard. The white chicken is Silky.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    Nope. I don't like Batiks. It's just a personal preference.
    How funny you shoud feel that way about Batiks. I used to think barf on them too, now I love them.
    I really like crumb quilts but I like scrappy.

Blog Entries
    Hi Grugirl,
    Just wanted to suggest that you still save your crumbs and donate (or sell) them to someone on here who can use them. We all have our own thing..what is one man's trash...and all that.
    Glad you weren't afraid to post your opinion.
    Quilty (not crumby-tho) hugs! :-)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast