Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I a Snob Because I Don't like Crumb Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by cctx.
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    I am not finding much about crumb quilts that I like at all and see them as a huge waste of time to put so many itty bitties together that make nothing cohesive anyhow. Am I a quilt snob because of this?
    On your avatar, are you holding ducklings?
    I have ducks and a goose (raised them as babies too)

Here's one photo of my gang:
    Yes, ducklings I hatched.

What kind are yours?
    I have mallards and Pekings (not shown is the Peking white), the black is Mallard. The white chicken is Silky.
    I have call ducks and Fawn Runner Ducks, over 50 hens of various breeds and several roosters.

Blog Entries
    I don't care for crumb quilts for 2 reasons: #1, they seem to take a lot of work to do and #2, my mind just won't let me do a scrappy quilt! I've looked at everyone elses scrappy quilts and they look beautiful--somehow the colors compliment each other and look nice. I tried 1/2 scrappy quilt...it was so ugly I threw it away. Some people just have the knack of putting together scrappy quilts. I'll bet scrappy quilt makers think other quilts are boring and plain. So no, I don't think you're a snob, just different preferences! :wink:

I will do that. I am saving a bag of them.. perhaps I could trade someone all my crumbs for their selvages. Those I need and would use for some funky lamp projects I want to make.

Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    What makes you think that everyone should like exactly the same things and if they don't, something or someone is wrong? And why should you care whether you like or dislike something different than other people? We are all individuals with differing tastes.
    I never said I thought everyone should like exactly the same things...
    Just generating conversation... isn't that the goal here?

Banned
    Your not a snob its just not your style.

I love scrappy quilts (well all quilts but really love the scrappies) and I tried my first crumb type of quilt for my FIL Alzheimers tribute quilt and it turned out really nice. But it is a neat way to get rid of all of the scraps you have.

Billy

No. You just have different taste.

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    People think I am goofy..I don't like any kind of jelly...can't eat it...
    I am not fond of crumb quilts either and paper piecing hates me !!
    You are allowed to like what you like and dislike what you don't like....beauty is in the eye of the beholder..
    Happy Stitchin' Linda B.

I for one, am grateful to the crumb snobs. The underlying theme of anything I do quilting wise is to use what someone else has cast off.

So far, so good!

No, you're not a snob.. you just like what you like.

Blog Entries
    I am not finding much about crumb quilts that I like at all and see them as a huge waste of time to put so many itty bitties together that make nothing cohesive anyhow. Am I a quilt snob because of this?
    On your avatar, are you holding ducklings?
    I have ducks and a goose (raised them as babies too)

Here's one photo of my gang:
    Yes, ducklings I hatched.

What kind are yours?
    I have mallards and Pekings (not shown is the Peking white), the black is Mallard. The white chicken is Silky.
    I have call ducks and Fawn Runner Ducks, over 50 hens of various breeds and several roosters.
    Sounds like fun for you then....!
    I can barely keep up with my small gang here.
    Good thing is, you never run out of eggs.

Blog Entries
    It doesn't make you a snob if you don't like something. What would make you a snob is if you looked down on something or thought of it or talked of it as inferior to what you do like or do. I see it all the time in the horse world. People look down on different breeds and malign them and then talk about the breed they have as if it's the only worthy breed. That's a snob.

That is the great thing about this hobby....you like what you like and that's OK :lol:

Everybody has their preferences. I love the scrappies most of all, especially the ones that are very random. But I know that isn't for everybody.

I don't care for crumb quilts either. But I do admire the time and talent it takes to make one. And I'm glad I've found someone who loves to make these quilts, and is happy to get my crumbs. Her quilts are charity quilts, so we all win. I get rid of my crumbs, she gets free fabric, and a charity gets a quilt.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    I'm not much into crumb quilts. I am too impatient to fool with very small pieces and the beginning of arthritis makes it even harder. Love the idea of taking fabric scraps to make a dog bed and I heard someone say if you are sending a package use the scraps as your filler in the box and let someone else deal with the scraps!

I don't really have a favorite style. I find that there are quilts of all types that I absolutely love, while others from the same genres do nothing for me at all.

The variety is part of what makes quilting so interesting. I can appreciate everything from the most utilitarian quilt, made from scraps, to the most intricate art quilt. All bring something worthwhile to the art and have their own purpose for being.

Nope, everyone likes something different.

BJN
    So what do you do with all of your scraps? Waste not:want not.

Blog Entries
    I take care of scraps easily.......don't save anything smaller than I know will work in my scrappy quilts.Since a lot of my HSTs etc are made big & cut down,just have no use for crumbs.That helps so much. No bags/boxes of unused scrap rags taking up space.All quilts are diff as are we,so whatever floats your boat :)

quote/But it is a neat way to get rid of all of the scraps you have.

I like crumb quilts but would never have the patience to finish one. I don't think you are a snob. It is just your personal preference to not like crumb quilts.

Blog Entries
    well see, I dont like the ones made with selvedges. I like crumbs and do make them, I dont care for dark,muddy colors either,but a lot of people do. To each his or her own. lol

Nope, we all have our own unique styles. That is what is so great about quilting it is what speaks to you. I love looking at the crumb quilts and the bargellos, but I know I would never be happy working on one.

No it is just your preference.

I have a friend in quilt guild who just cannot make a scrap quilt. Likes those made by others but her mind will not allow her to do "disorganized", non-matching blocks. I love scrap quilts because I (and my mother) never threw away a scrap and these remind me of clothing she or I made and give a warm fuzzy feeling and bring back memories. Our brains all have different wiring which make the world and our quilts so interesting.

Pat

Blog Entries
    I like the 'organized' scrap quilts, either similar color families, or sashed with a single strong color like black, navy or red. I admire the work that goes into the total hodge podge ones, but just not my style.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast