Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Amazing how things happen (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/amazing-how-things-happen-t86984.html)

cherylynne 01-02-2011 08:50 AM

I sometimes feel that it is our responsibility to pass on the skills that we have been so fortunate to learn from others. My DM taught me so much about sewing and life. I am going to go over to her house this afternoon and spend some time with her. She's 83 and I just need to learn all I can from her. Maybe I can share something with her, too. Have fun with your niece. You've influenced her more than you realize.

Ms. Shawn 01-02-2011 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by jayelee
My neice who told me that she didnt want me to make her a quilt for Christmas but asked for a sewing machine and fabric from her parents for Christmas, so I could teach her to make one , came over yesterday She brought with her a piece of graph paper with her design of what she wants her quilt to be and the fabric she would like to make it out of. We are going to start cutting next weekend. This is going to be more fulfilling than giving her a quilt woild have ever been. I felt so hurt when she told me not to make her a quilt for Christmas so I didnt.This is the best Christmas gift anyone has ever given me.

Amen to that!!! Have a wonderful time!!! :mrgreen: :XD:

cjomomma 01-02-2011 08:57 AM

I can only dream of someone wanting me to teach them how to make quilts. My DD made a quilt but didn't want my help, she did it all on her own. Enjoy teaching her.

littlehud 01-02-2011 09:00 AM

That is just wonderful. What a great way to pass on your knowledge. She wants to be one of us.

ann clare 01-02-2011 09:01 AM

Beautiful story with many happy endings.

fabric whisperer 01-02-2011 09:06 AM

teaching really will give you great joy - My cousin (about 14 years older than me) suffers horrible depression. She has always envied the talents I inherited, and made a passing comment one day that she wished she was as creative... so I told her come over on such-n-such day, and we'll make something. We made raw-edge applique wall hangings for her grandkids... they loved them, and she loved the creative company. I now can spot her "bad lows" and call her over for an afternoon... it's keeping her stable. I have always loved sharing the arts, would love to open a school to teach buddy-crafting (adult/child)... of course a killer quilt shoppe would also be a part of this plan.

Cyn 01-02-2011 09:16 AM

Awesome! I tried for years to get my daughters into sewing/quilting and it never happened. Of course I didn't start really crafting and all until my 30's so there's till time! They are 22 and 24 and away at college so they have other things on their mind.

Deborah12687 01-02-2011 09:17 AM

It is so wonderful when the younger generation takes interest in quilting. It insures that quilting will continue on.

np3 01-02-2011 09:34 AM

I remember when you first posted about this. I am so glad you followed up and hope you keep us posted with her progress. Enjoy!

featherweight 01-02-2011 10:53 AM

Wow, She surely loves your talent for quilting or she wouldn't have been so eager to learn. What a great compliment. Enjoy, and do have fun....