Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazing how things happen

My neice who told me that she didnt want me to make her a quilt for Christmas but asked for a sewing machine and fabric from her parents for Christmas, so I could teach her to make one , came over yesterday She brought with her a piece of graph paper with her design of what she wants her quilt to be and the fabric she would like to make it out of. We are going to start cutting next weekend. This is going to be more fulfilling than giving her a quilt woild have ever been. I felt so hurt when she told me not to make her a quilt for Christmas so I didnt.This is the best Christmas gift anyone has ever given me.

how nice

Aw, sounds like the two of you will have SO much fun! Enjoy!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Oh yes, I would be thrilled too! You two are going to have a great time :D:D

Banned
    That is wonderful! I think that is much better than her simply wanting you to make her a quilt too! This girl TRULY appreciates your work obviously!

Outstanding!!!!! The BEST compliment any quilter could get!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    This is a great present :D:D:D

Wow, that is amazing...kinda like that parable: teach a person to fish and they will fish for life...although I like the paraphrase of teach a person to quilt, and they will quilt for life!

you will have sew much fun with her

It sounds like it will be so much fun.

I sometimes feel that it is our responsibility to pass on the skills that we have been so fortunate to learn from others. My DM taught me so much about sewing and life. I am going to go over to her house this afternoon and spend some time with her. She's 83 and I just need to learn all I can from her. Maybe I can share something with her, too. Have fun with your niece. You've influenced her more than you realize.

Quote Originally Posted by jayelee
    My neice who told me that she didnt want me to make her a quilt for Christmas but asked for a sewing machine and fabric from her parents for Christmas, so I could teach her to make one , came over yesterday She brought with her a piece of graph paper with her design of what she wants her quilt to be and the fabric she would like to make it out of. We are going to start cutting next weekend. This is going to be more fulfilling than giving her a quilt woild have ever been. I felt so hurt when she told me not to make her a quilt for Christmas so I didnt.This is the best Christmas gift anyone has ever given me.
    Amen to that!!! Have a wonderful time!!! :mrgreen: :XD:

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I can only dream of someone wanting me to teach them how to make quilts. My DD made a quilt but didn't want my help, she did it all on her own. Enjoy teaching her.

That is just wonderful. What a great way to pass on your knowledge. She wants to be one of us.

Beautiful story with many happy endings.

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    teaching really will give you great joy - My cousin (about 14 years older than me) suffers horrible depression. She has always envied the talents I inherited, and made a passing comment one day that she wished she was as creative... so I told her come over on such-n-such day, and we'll make something. We made raw-edge applique wall hangings for her grandkids... they loved them, and she loved the creative company. I now can spot her "bad lows" and call her over for an afternoon... it's keeping her stable. I have always loved sharing the arts, would love to open a school to teach buddy-crafting (adult/child)... of course a killer quilt shoppe would also be a part of this plan.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Awesome! I tried for years to get my daughters into sewing/quilting and it never happened. Of course I didn't start really crafting and all until my 30's so there's till time! They are 22 and 24 and away at college so they have other things on their mind.

It is so wonderful when the younger generation takes interest in quilting. It insures that quilting will continue on.

np3
    Blog Entries
    I remember when you first posted about this. I am so glad you followed up and hope you keep us posted with her progress. Enjoy!

Wow, She surely loves your talent for quilting or she wouldn't have been so eager to learn. What a great compliment. Enjoy, and do have fun....

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I am glad she wants you to teach her how to quilt. At some point, she may want a quilt from you to remember you by. But the time she spends with you learning will live with her her whole life. You are very lucky!

That is the greatest compliment anyone could give you. I am hoping that my DGC will want to learn. So far we have made pillowcases, cd-holders, and one made a skirt. We are on our way. Enjoy the lessons.
    Sue

That is awesome! I long for the day when one of my kids want to do that. They do..but they loose interest real fast and then I'm stuck with THEIR ufo's...I have enough of my own. =) Thank you very much. I bought 2 of my girls Singer sewing machines one year...one of them are still in the box. =(

That's the best present ever! Enjoy teaching and spending time with her!

tmg
    That's sweet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast