Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amazing how things happen >

Amazing how things happen

Amazing how things happen

Old 01-02-2011, 08:50 AM

I sometimes feel that it is our responsibility to pass on the skills that we have been so fortunate to learn from others. My DM taught me so much about sewing and life. I am going to go over to her house this afternoon and spend some time with her. She's 83 and I just need to learn all I can from her. Maybe I can share something with her, too. Have fun with your niece. You've influenced her more than you realize.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by jayelee
My neice who told me that she didnt want me to make her a quilt for Christmas but asked for a sewing machine and fabric from her parents for Christmas, so I could teach her to make one , came over yesterday She brought with her a piece of graph paper with her design of what she wants her quilt to be and the fabric she would like to make it out of. We are going to start cutting next weekend. This is going to be more fulfilling than giving her a quilt woild have ever been. I felt so hurt when she told me not to make her a quilt for Christmas so I didnt.This is the best Christmas gift anyone has ever given me.
Amen to that!!! Have a wonderful time!!! :mrgreen: :XD:
Old 01-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I can only dream of someone wanting me to teach them how to make quilts. My DD made a quilt but didn't want my help, she did it all on her own. Enjoy teaching her.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

That is just wonderful. What a great way to pass on your knowledge. She wants to be one of us.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful story with many happy endings.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

teaching really will give you great joy - My cousin (about 14 years older than me) suffers horrible depression. She has always envied the talents I inherited, and made a passing comment one day that she wished she was as creative... so I told her come over on such-n-such day, and we'll make something. We made raw-edge applique wall hangings for her grandkids... they loved them, and she loved the creative company. I now can spot her "bad lows" and call her over for an afternoon... it's keeping her stable. I have always loved sharing the arts, would love to open a school to teach buddy-crafting (adult/child)... of course a killer quilt shoppe would also be a part of this plan.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Cyn

Awesome! I tried for years to get my daughters into sewing/quilting and it never happened. Of course I didn't start really crafting and all until my 30's so there's till time! They are 22 and 24 and away at college so they have other things on their mind.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 AM

It is so wonderful when the younger generation takes interest in quilting. It insures that quilting will continue on.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:34 AM
np3
Power Poster

I remember when you first posted about this. I am so glad you followed up and hope you keep us posted with her progress. Enjoy!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 AM

Wow, She surely loves your talent for quilting or she wouldn't have been so eager to learn. What a great compliment. Enjoy, and do have fun....