Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bad things can happen SUDDENLY >

Bad things can happen SUDDENLY

Bad things can happen SUDDENLY

Old 12-05-2010, 08:25 PM

This is my third try to post this. Today while helping me learn to hide my thread ends inside the batting of an appliqued quilt, my friend Robin dropped a pair of snips onto her lap and punctured her leg about 1/2 inch deep. Very suddenly and very thoroughly. Scared me half to death, but once we got the bleeding stopped it wasn't so bad. Please, guys, if you drop your snips, open your legs and let em go, it isn't worth the very sore spot she is bound to have tomorrow
Old 12-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Google Goddess

ouch, hope she is feeling better soon
Old 12-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Power Poster

OOOOUCH!! Poor thing! :(
Old 12-05-2010, 08:29 PM

Man! That has GOT to HURT! But, I know that the first thing I do when drop something is to put my legs together to catch it...I have often thought that "one of these days"....

Sorry your friend got hurt. Hope her tetanus shot is up to date.

The other day I dropped my seam ripper and luckily didn't try to catch it, but I was sewing at my DS's kitchen table and it fell and stuck into the linoleum, just like a knife! Yikes! I didn't think quilting was supposed to be dangerous to ones health! Ah well, I will definitely take the risk!

Hope your friends cut heals up quickly and without complications. Thanks for the reminder to be careful.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:31 PM

I have actually done something similar, I drop a pair of really sharp scissors into my lap and (even though I know better) I quick put my knees together to catch it.

Well, the points went into my inner thigh, about an inch or so, we had one heck of a time getting the bleeding stopped. Finally did.

Should have gone to the ER, but I hate our ER, first of all, you are there for at least a minimum of 4 hours and I hate seeing and dealing with all the inefficiency and total wasting of time and resources by the staff.

So, my hubby put a tight butterfly on it and that worked just fine. My tetanus is up to date and no infection. I do have a nice scar (war wound?) :) Hopefully I won't do that again!

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
This is my third try to post this. Today while helping me learn to hide my thread ends inside the batting of an appliqued quilt, my friend Robin dropped a pair of snips onto her lap and punctured her leg about 1/2 inch deep. Very suddenly and very thoroughly. Scared me half to death, but once we got the bleeding stopped it wasn't so bad. Please, guys, if you drop your snips, open your legs and let em go, it isn't worth the very sore spot she is bound to have tomorrow
Old 12-05-2010, 08:41 PM

It makes me woozy to think about it...
Old 12-05-2010, 08:50 PM

I've dropped my seam ripper and it's stuck in the floor, missing my foot by inches. Dangerous hobby we have!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:51 PM

Owie. I learned that one when my mom dropped a crochet hook and caught it between her calves. It stabbed a good two inches in, and the hook tore the muscle when she pulled it out...

Also, I'm a lab tech...you *never* want to try to catch a dirty, falling needle. It's my instinct, as a result, to do a spread eagle when I drop sharp things - knives, pins, scissors, needles, etc., hands go up, legs spread, and if I'm standing, I jump back.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 PM

I suspect this goes by sex, or USED to. Men wearing pants always slam their legs together to catch something dropped.

Ladies, those who always wear dresses automatically spread their legs to catch things.

Seems to me that one of the old Mark Twain books had some guy catching a boy out who was dressed as a girl. When someone dropped something in "her" dress, he slammed his legs together to catch it, while a girl would not.

Personally, I rarely wear a dress or skirt, so always put my legs together to catch anything dropped. Sometimes this is not the best thing to do. This is a learned reaction so not much to do but be very, very careful when using sharp objects.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:04 PM

Done that.
Only my stab wound did not bleed, I put ice where the wound was. To my surprise it was not even sore the next. sissors went over 1 1/2" in my leg. My first though was here I am, I am going to die from a scissor would.