Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Amount of machine quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/amount-machine-quilting-t268972.html)

CanoePam 08-20-2015 08:38 AM

Regarding Big Stitch quilting, I must admit that I am not a fan. I prefer quilting to complement the top, and the Big Stitch style just stands out too much. I would rather see good machine quilting to that. I machine quilt my own quilts, and I prefer them soft. I am pretty cautious about how much quilting I put in them so they stay the way I want.

joe'smom 08-20-2015 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew (Post 7291796)
Machine quilting and hand quilting, to me, are like chalk and cheese. The pattern may be the same but the stitches sure look different.

I think this is so true! A design that looks beautiful hand-quilted is not necessarily the best choice for machine quilting, and vice versa.

Edit to add that I think big stitch quilting can look lovely on the appropriate quilt.

msrosecooks 08-21-2015 04:04 AM

peckish, you put it in a nutshell....thanks!

nanna-up-north 08-21-2015 05:21 AM

It sounds like you might be like me in many ways. I started quilting because I loved the beautiful hand quilted treasures I'd see on beds or hung from walls. I wanted to do that. But I'm getting older (70 my next birthday) and I'm slow at hand quilting. I don't have a lot of tops because I finish them rather than pile them up but I decided some time ago that I just didn't have the time to hand quilt everything I make. And, I can't afford having them LA quilted. I know those ladies deserve the price they charge but it's just not possible with my pocketbook. I do many of my quilts on my own sewing machines. If it's a special quilt, I still hand quilt it. But if you haven't tried doing machine sewing on your home machine, make up a small piece and try it. That might solve the problem and become another fun thing to do. Of course, perhaps you can afford to have them all done by a LA quilter.

Sewnoma 08-21-2015 05:45 AM

Have you considered sending your quilts out to be hand-quilted, rather than long-armed?

I think you can find people (particularly in Amish areas) that will do hand-quilting for a fee. It's probably more expensive than longarming them but maybe a good option if you have a few that are particularly precious to you?

carolynjo 08-21-2015 07:58 AM

There is nothing wrong with big stitch as long as your stitches are consistent.

Wanabee Quiltin 08-21-2015 08:21 AM

I am with you about the excessive stitching, it's way too much for me too. Ask around and then explain clearly what you want.

IBQUILTIN 08-21-2015 01:46 PM

All quilting you have done should be to your specifications. If you want them quilted tightly, they will be stiffer, from the extra thread if nothing else, but your LA person should do them the way you want. They can be very similar to hand quilted items

quiltingshorttimer 08-21-2015 09:30 PM

As a LA I appreciate customers giving me guidance on what they want--the density of quilting, the type of design, what they are thinking about thread color(s), type of thread desired and batting. I would recommend that you think about wool bat for that softer feel--even though it' little pricey. And I think that each quilt needs it's "own" quilting--whether it be hand quilting, machine, Big stitch,etc.

A

Peckish 08-23-2015 02:34 PM

I have seen many "big stitch" quilts and I really like them. In my opinion, the ones that are the most successful at integrating that kind of quilting are simple, modern quilts; and the handmade/homespun look.