Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/amusing-frustrating-situation-joann-t27661.html)

rivka 10-25-2009 05:40 PM

So I went to Joann Fabrics today to get some batting, fabric, and other odds and ends. I was extremely happy to see when I got to the batting section, a sign that said "All packaged batting, buy 1 get 1 free." Great, I thought -- I can buy an extra package for my next project. So I grab two packages of my favorite batting -- Fairfield 80/20 and take it to up check out. Lo and behold, the second one didn't ring up as free. The cashier calls over the manager, and the following occurs:

Me: Hi, you have signs up in the batting section that say buy one, get one free. This second one should ring up as free.
Manager: That's not batting.
Me: Then what in heck is it?
Manager: (pointing to some words on the top of the package) It's poly-fil. It's not batting.
Me: That's just brand name verbiage. It says here on the package "The perfect BATTING for garments." And it's in the batting section.
Manager: Sorry, but it's not batting.

So I say, okay, I'm gonna go pick something else out, all the time wondering what in the heck the stuff is if it's NOT batting. I go back to the batting area, look at the shelf where I got my 80/20 (and where all the rest of the batting is stored), and then call over the manager again.

Me: Look, it says right here on the sign where this specific batting is stored, "Fairfield Quilters 80/20 PACKAGED BATTING. (I point to the sale sign) Buy one, get one free on ALL PACKAGED BATTING."
Manager: It's still not batting.
Me: ???

I finally wore her down, and she agreed to give me the discount, but seriously, what the heck? Batting is batting, no? It even says on the website for that product, "Fairfield Family Of Cottons Quilter's 80/20 Batting." It makes me wonder if whoever did the pricing/sale stuff for that section had no clue what batting actually is, and because the product doesn't say in big bold letters on it "BATTING", then they didn't mark it down. Weird.

DJ 10-25-2009 05:54 PM

Very strange! Good for you for sticking to your guns.

butterflywing 10-25-2009 06:11 PM

welcome to joannes. customer service reps with no brains, no common sense and no training.

marsye 10-25-2009 06:16 PM

Its getting like this everywhere......now days people can't even make change unless the register does it for them!!!!!

Deb watkins 10-25-2009 06:16 PM

Okay, so it is polly-fill, what does the manager say it is USED for? Wouldn't you just love it if the reply was, "Batting"

JJs 10-25-2009 06:27 PM

the dummying down of America is really working - aren't you pleased?
the sale at Hancocks was just as stupid - big sign says 50% all fabrics in the already marked down section - then says 3.95, 2.95, 1.95....
so the fabric that was 2.99 was NOT 50% off...

How about a computer on the shelf at Walmart - pick it up, go to the checkout, bleep!! oh we can't sell this... what do you mean, you can't sell this?
I don't know
uh, it was on the shelf, it has a price, why can't you sell it?
I don't know

duh

bearisgray 10-25-2009 06:33 PM

GRRRRRR

I would not be amused - and I would be very busy contacting Jo-Ann's headquarters.

earthwalker 10-25-2009 06:34 PM

Sad isn't it!

Shemjo 10-25-2009 06:35 PM

I guess they don't want our money! I have discussions with store personnel about their signage all the time. Even in the grocery store, where signs are "misplaced".

littlehud 10-25-2009 06:38 PM

That is so sad. She is a manager and doesn't even really know what is batting and what isn't. Sadly enough it seems to be like that more and more places.