Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Analysis Paralysis (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/analysis-paralysis-t39230.html)

krlowe 03-14-2010 11:50 AM

That's me! I way overthink it. It totally paralyzes me. I see all of these beautiful modern quilts that I want to do and I am completely stuck.

rosie the ripper 03-14-2010 05:06 PM

YEP

Chele 03-14-2010 05:16 PM

Oh, wow, I'm getting nervous reading this thread! But I love how you all are so dedicated to finding just the right thing! One day, give yourself a break and try some liberated quilting. It's artsy, doesn't require patterns or exact piecing. You just create from your brain. Play, play, and play some more. Grab some scraps and throw them together. Consider color, hue, shape, or other values. Pretend you're a fine artist. This type of quilting may not be your style, but I bet it will open your mind and help you with anything you are working on. We all need to play.

AkAngel 03-14-2010 05:22 PM

I have to say I'm glad to know i'm not the only one that does this.
If I didn't spend so much time over choosing a pattern or looking at all my quilt mags for the 200 x each and then again with my stash I might actually accomplish some piecing....lol
but then again when I finally get to the piecing I spend 3x's the time
frogging (rip it, rip it) oh well, maybe looking at all those magazines isn't so bad for sure its alot less frustrating.
Muriel

BARES 03-14-2010 08:31 PM

WOW!!! You only sleep on it once??? You ARE amazing!

DebJ 03-14-2010 09:39 PM

Sometimes the pattern dictates the fabric sometimes it is the other way around. Lately I have had a case of wanting to cut all the componates out for 2-3 quilts putting each set in a project bag and then start putting one together. Only the first once I cut all 224 gingham block & 224 muslin for the hst. I just couldn't leave it until I sewed them together but I managed to stop before cutting them apart. Then moved to cutting the componates of the second quilt (396) rectangles, haven't finished cutting all these yet. Oh, and I like to scan the actual fabrics into a folder & import it into EQ to use in the project so as to see how it will look. I often do this before I cut any thing to see if it works with a particular pattern or block. It helps.

WLee 03-14-2010 11:22 PM

You've certainly described me!! It's comforting to hear that others have the same problem! I'm trying to change this behavior, but it's hard! Hang in there! I hope this year proves more productive for me. WLee

Joanieu 03-15-2010 01:53 PM

I get really stressed over it - my friend across the street thought I was really out of it when I was telling her about my problem for the quilt I want to make for a friend of ours that is getting married - her reply "I thought quilting was relaxing for you??" It is once I figure out what and how the quilt is going to be. LOL

Oklahoma Suzie 03-15-2010 02:09 PM

I have done this too.

Irish Jan 03-15-2010 03:22 PM

that is so me.. this quilt that I am working on now ( the top) has taken a year in the planning.. material, design, colors, ect. then it will take me three years to hand quilt it is a queen size quilt. this is the longest one Ihave made that took this long to plan - all without a pattern. I think I will go back to patterns- a lot faster and easier. I'm getting older - have to work faster- tee hee