Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Analysis Paralysis (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/analysis-paralysis-t39230.html)

pittsburgpam 03-11-2010 04:29 PM

I find that when I just can't decide what fabric to use for what pattern then, it's probably not exactly what I want to do.

Like someone else said, when the perfect pattern meets the perfect fabric, it just comes together with a POW!! That's the one.

If I am agonizing about something then I just forget about that and do something else because I know that the solution is going to come along.

JanieW 03-11-2010 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Janie,

I had a blue fabric with little flowers on it that was too purdy for words. Every time I thought I was going to use it, I pulled back. Then one day the PERFECT pattern jumped out at me and I ended up using THAT fabric. It was meant to be and at the end I had just scraps left. The quilt was wonderful. Don't give up - the solution is just around the corner. You'll see.

I know you're right,Martina, but I'm not getting any younger and it would be a shame to expire and still have those gorgeous fabrics languishing in my stash.
:-D

I must start pattern searching again. Glad I read this thread today. It's encouraging.

Suggestions welcome!

fabric=fun 03-12-2010 05:40 AM

Oh my, that is so much a part of the process that I enjoy it doesn't seem to be a bad thing at all to keep adding and subtracting the fabrics! Of course, I often am working on something else while planning this next project so it is not a production stopper. In fact I have many (8 or more?) fabric groups presorted that have ideas attached to them, waiting for the right inspired moment to begin sewing with them.

vicki reno 03-12-2010 05:43 AM

I don't do this over just the pattern, but do it more over the fabric selection. By the time I decide the room looks like a tornado hit it and the next morning I am still undecided on fabrics. :cry:

littlehud 03-12-2010 07:26 PM

Oh, I'm there with you. Sometimes I dream about it too.

judi wess 03-13-2010 05:35 AM

After buying a fabric "I have to put into a quilt", I load it into EQ6 and start designing, by cutting time, most of the anxiety has lessened.

eiltcoq 03-13-2010 05:35 AM

Vicki Reno, My friend and I always joke about our sewing room looks like a tornado went through it. Then we have to spend a couple of days organizing the room. It's one continuous cycle.
But, it keeps us busy and out of trouble ( to some degree!!).
Eiltcoq.

sunrise450 03-13-2010 06:06 AM

I am so glad to see that I am not alone with this affliction! I do the same thing, just worry it to death. I also thought I was alone in that I have so many UFO's. I guess that is pretty normal! It seams like while I am working on one thing that I am thinking about the next. And yes sometimes I feel like my brain is overloaded. I think I need a long long rest!
Phyllis

ctquilter 03-13-2010 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Carol in Colorado
Does anyone else suffer from this disease? I study the pattern, I study the fabric, I sleep on it, I look at the pattern again............and on it goes. By the time I actually decide and get the project started, I'm worn out :) Can anyone else relate?

Yes! I also suffer from this disease except I call it creativity constipation because I have so many ideas and take in so much information, I'm waiting for them to come out at some point.

golfer 03-13-2010 10:09 AM

When you are not feeling it, it is best to sleep on it. I do it all the time, not just quilting.