Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another aha moment (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-aha-moment-t218759.html)

Gannyrosie 04-11-2013 03:01 AM

I've seen quilts with old hankie's, they did have a background fabric for support, also seen them used on aprons. Dollies would do just the same in my opinion, I would though add some hankies to offset them, soften them up sort of. Give it a try and go for it.

quiltinghere 04-11-2013 03:17 AM

QUILTING HAVEN - that's absolutely beautiful!

How did you bring yourself to cutting the pillowcases? Were they 'family' cases or just garage sale finds?

Nan

Tashana 04-11-2013 03:37 AM

I have seen old doilies put on a black fabric and then framed. Putting several together on a wall makes a striking composition. A quilt would be as beautiful.

Sweeterthanwine 04-11-2013 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5992817)
I have seen old doilies put on a black fabric and then framed. Putting several together on a wall makes a striking composition. A quilt would be as beautiful.

That is a great idea also. I may do that in my bedroom which needs a little bit of art. Thanks for sharing your tip.:thumbup:

quiltstringz 04-11-2013 08:22 AM

I also recently saw in Pinterest a table runner made up of all different sizes of doilies - looked like they were just tacked together with some overlapping. It was really pretty laid out on a long table

lynn_z 04-11-2013 06:06 PM

I started one with a girlfriend of my late son with denim blocks mostly from old jeans. I bought some new denim pieces but washed them a few times so they wouldn't bleed on to the doilies. The 2 split up and I never got it finished before he died. I had it out a while back and hadn't realized how heavy it was so I am considering just using a flannel backing or even one side could be doilies and the other could be a rag quilt with the frayed denim. It seems like it should go on my to do list again.

hperttula123 04-11-2013 06:49 PM

I think it would look wonderful to add doilies to a quilt. The first quilt I ever made(and gave to a friend), I added crochetet butterflies to it in two of the corners. They were made like doilies(same thickness yard). It was so neat. I've always thought about doing it again, but never had a quilt that it would look just right on. I have my grandmothers pineapple stitched table cloth. It's about 2.5 feet across and I never knew what to ready do with it. Maybe that would be a great center for a quilt.

bunbytes 04-12-2013 04:48 AM

Beautiful quit and great tiny stitches!!!!

lclang 04-12-2013 05:01 AM

Fabulous idea! I have totes full of doilies and table toppers that I have made years ago just because I love to crochet and it is something you can pick up and work on in short stretches of time. Don't use them much for their intended purpose but they would be fabulous in a quilt. I may have to try that!

MS quilter 04-12-2013 05:05 AM

That is lovely ans so special. It motivates me to try it! thanks