Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another appliqué question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-appliqu%E9-question-t226928.html)

Daisygirl 07-30-2013 05:22 PM

Another appliqué question

I am currently working on a wall hanging, and I am machine appliquing it. I completed all the flowers, stems and pretty much everything using a blanket stitch. I only have the lettering left to do. My question is this, can I use raw edge appliqué on te letters if I used a blanket stitch on everything else? I know there are no quilting was that I would be breaking, but would it look okay?

snipforfun 07-30-2013 05:31 PM

You may want to use invisible threa.

Prism99 07-30-2013 05:33 PM

I think it would look fine! Would distinguish the lettering from the blossoms.

mighty 07-30-2013 06:29 PM

I think it would look fine.

Scissor Queen 07-30-2013 09:10 PM

The nice part of doing raw edge with invisible thread is if you decide you don't like it you don't have to take it out before you do blanket stitching.

Knitette 07-30-2013 10:31 PM

I'm confused :confused:

It might be a language thing, but I thought 'raw edge appliqué' was a technique - using a fusible and sewing round the edges by machine with either a straight, zig-zag, blanket or satin stitch (the other main appliqué method being 'needle-turn').

If the OP is doing her hanging by this technique (raw-edge machine), what does the question, 'raw-edge or blanket stitch' mean? I understood blanket stitch to be one of the methods of raw-edge?

Could someone explain please? TIA

Skittl1321 07-31-2013 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 6206411)
If the OP is doing her hanging by this technique (raw-edge machine), what does the question, 'raw-edge or blanket stitch' mean? I understood blanket stitch to be one of the methods of raw-edge?

I have this same question. I thought raw-edge meant you didn't turn the edges over. Blanket stitch can be used on raw edge or turned edge, as can a number of other sew down method.

I'd love to know what this raw edge 'stitch' is.

Scraplady 07-31-2013 04:16 AM

Sometimes "raw edge applique" refers to a technique where you would stitch maybe 1/8" to 1/4" in from the edge of the applique to secure it, then leave the actual cut edge to fray with use and washing, kind of like the edges of the blocks on a rag quilt. Is that what you mean? If it's a wall hanging, it wouldn't see much washing, but you can always fray the edges of the letters with a soft toothbrush after they're sewn down, if that's the look you're after.

Scissor Queen 07-31-2013 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 6206411)
I'm confused :confused:

It might be a language thing, but I thought 'raw edge appliqué' was a technique - using a fusible and sewing round the edges by machine with either a straight, zig-zag, blanket or satin stitch (the other main appliqué method being 'needle-turn').

Could someone explain please? TIA

Raw edge leaves the edge of the applique unfinished. Blanket stitch, zig-zag or satin stitch finishes the edge of the applique.

Knitette 07-31-2013 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 6206771)
Raw edge leaves the edge of the applique unfinished. Blanket stitch, zig-zag or satin stitch finishes the edge of the applique.

OK - if that's 'raw edge', what's the latter method called?