Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another Connecting Threads question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-connecting-threads-question-t131163.html)

moneill 06-18-2011 02:56 AM

There are a number of chemicals including formaldehyde that are commonly used as finishes on fabric. If you want to read more, just google fabric + formaldehyde. I always wash fabrics because it's just one more exposure that can be easily minimized.

watterstide 06-18-2011 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by jillnjo
No,I did not pre-wash the fabrics I purchased from them. I did not buy any batiks,however. I always pre-wash batiks.

me too..

Suzy 06-18-2011 04:32 AM

You stated it is a kit, I'd be careful in washing first in case of shrinkage. You may not have enough of each piece when washed first. I would starch it make it and then wash with a color catcher or two, depending on the size of quilt. Shout makes one and can find it near the detergents in most stores. also there is a cloth called Dye Grabber and I have gotten those at Hancock Fabrics. Both do a good job.

Good Luck

Suzy

quilt3311 06-18-2011 04:57 AM

The only ones I prewash are reds, purples and a anything I think may have excess dye. Those I just put a small piece into hot water then on a white paper towel. That will show if the fabric will bleed.

lyndajean 06-18-2011 04:57 AM

I have made 2 quilts with fabric from Connecting Threads and have 3 more in progress! I have never prewashed the fabric. As a matter of fact I bought a flannel kit and emailed the company about prewashing it and the told me that it was not necessary. I have been very pleased with everything I have purchased from them and their customer service is wonderful!

Candela59 06-18-2011 05:03 AM

I don't pre-wash any of my fabrics. Once a quilt and/or project is finished then I'll wash (want to see if it stays together! :oops: ) and press it. I haven't seen any more shrinkage in CT fabrics than LQS fabrics. Hope that helps!

mhansen6 06-18-2011 05:19 AM

I am going to make a country patriotic quilt that has a piece of red fabric from Connecting Threads. I am going to prewash it with retayne because I don't want any chances of it fading after the quilt is finished. It is a very complicated quilt, at least for me, and I don't want to spend all the time and money making it to have it ruined by fading fabric. I will serge the ends of the fabric first though.

Side note: I bought some of Connecting Threads thread and just love it. My sewing machine is a little picky about thread and this thread works great in my machine. Very little lint.

cavmom 06-18-2011 05:33 AM

yes - i bought some dark purple fabric and made sure i prewashed it. Used 1 color catcher and it was dark purple when the wash was done so i washed it again with another.(catcher was much lighter the 2nd time) I have had bad luck with reds and purples when it comes to color bleed so i dont take chances anymore!

Candela59 06-18-2011 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
I am going to make a country patriotic quilt that has a piece of red fabric from Connecting Threads. I am going to prewash it with retayne because I don't want any chances of it fading after the quilt is finished. It is a very complicated quilt, at least for me, and I don't want to spend all the time and money making it to have it ruined by fading fabric. I will serge the ends of the fabric first though.

Side note: I bought some of Connecting Threads thread and just love it. My sewing machine is a little picky about thread and this thread works great in my machine. Very little lint.

I love their thread too. I just purchased some more myself!

peacequiltingnana 06-18-2011 05:56 AM

I never prewash but I always wash the quilt before I give it away. When I wash it I use a sheet of Shout Color Catcher in the machine and I've never had a problem yet. I like the look a quilt takes on after washing and if there is a "hole" in the quilt that I somehow missed it will show up after being washed. 98% of the time I use Warm and Natural batting so the shrinkage from the fabric top and bottom and the batting is about the same.