Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another Great Find! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-great-find-t47503.html)

pollyjvan9 05-29-2010 05:48 AM

Is there anything better than "Free". Several years ago, 7 or 8 at least, my SIL came in the door yelling "MA". He had a portable sewing machine case in his hand. He had stopped to pick it up off the curb (because that's just something he does) and it had this Necchi 535FA machine in it. It looked brand new. The book didn't have any creases or anything. Well, this little beauty has been in my storage shed all this time. Case is a little scratched and very dusty but the machine still looks like new.

I go to a sit and sew on Wednesdays and have been worrying about carrying my expensive Baby Lock Ellegante or beloved Juki back and forth so I had one of the boys dig out the Necchi.

Guess what? It works like a charm. Doesn't hesitate at the bulky seams, loosened the pressure foot and it takes thick batting, you can even drop the feed dogs for FMQ! And to think I almost went out and bought a new inexpensive machine and I had this little jewel all along. Who would have thought it!

erstan947 05-29-2010 05:50 AM

I love to go closet shopping, or shed. Refind something that had be stored for whatever reason. Good for YOU!

dkabasketlady 05-29-2010 05:53 AM

I'm sorry it took you 7-8 yrs. to realise you had a jewel all along!! Congratulation and enjoy!! Aren't kids or "in-laws" good for something? You trained him right,lol!!

sewcrafty 05-29-2010 05:53 AM

That's wonderful!!! FREE is a good thing! :-D

Quilt Mom 05-29-2010 05:54 AM

:thumbup:

craftybear 05-29-2010 05:55 AM

that is awesome and here you had it all along, I guess you need to clean and see what other treasures you have, have fun

Pam 05-29-2010 06:05 AM

YAY!! I pulled a great machine out of a dumpster, cleaned it up and donated it to my quilt guild. We teach a sewing class each summer for the City Camp. Kids range from 9 to 14. Most of them cannot thread a hand needle! I guess Mom does not know how either?

CarrieAnne 05-29-2010 06:24 AM

AWESOME! That IS a great find! I do the trah thing too, but never found a sewing machine!

Pam B 05-29-2010 06:34 AM

I KNOW there are a couple machines in my FILs barn. They would be from the estates of elderly family members. My late MIL was a retired Home Ec teacher and somehow everyone always thought she should have the sewing stuff...LOL. I now have her embroidery machine/Horn cabinet/etc. and I want so very much to dig around and find out just what these machines in the barn are. My FIL mentioned them one day...guess I should check them out before he gets the idea to send them to the landfill. But, you know, there is only so much room in my house! I keep hinting to my DH that we need to build a new house....but I don't think he has any idea of how large I want it to be. LOL

Darlene 05-29-2010 07:12 AM

Congratulations on finally using your little "gem". I have never see that kind of machine. I will be on the lookout.