Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another Great Find!

Blog Entries
    Is there anything better than "Free". Several years ago, 7 or 8 at least, my SIL came in the door yelling "MA". He had a portable sewing machine case in his hand. He had stopped to pick it up off the curb (because that's just something he does) and it had this Necchi 535FA machine in it. It looked brand new. The book didn't have any creases or anything. Well, this little beauty has been in my storage shed all this time. Case is a little scratched and very dusty but the machine still looks like new.

I go to a sit and sew on Wednesdays and have been worrying about carrying my expensive Baby Lock Ellegante or beloved Juki back and forth so I had one of the boys dig out the Necchi.

Guess what? It works like a charm. Doesn't hesitate at the bulky seams, loosened the pressure foot and it takes thick batting, you can even drop the feed dogs for FMQ! And to think I almost went out and bought a new inexpensive machine and I had this little jewel all along. Who would have thought it!

Blog Entries
    I love to go closet shopping, or shed. Refind something that had be stored for whatever reason. Good for YOU!

I'm sorry it took you 7-8 yrs. to realise you had a jewel all along!! Congratulation and enjoy!! Aren't kids or "in-laws" good for something? You trained him right,lol!!

That's wonderful!!! FREE is a good thing! :-D

:thumbup:

Blog Entries
    that is awesome and here you had it all along, I guess you need to clean and see what other treasures you have, have fun

Pam
    YAY!! I pulled a great machine out of a dumpster, cleaned it up and donated it to my quilt guild. We teach a sewing class each summer for the City Camp. Kids range from 9 to 14. Most of them cannot thread a hand needle! I guess Mom does not know how either?

AWESOME! That IS a great find! I do the trah thing too, but never found a sewing machine!

I KNOW there are a couple machines in my FILs barn. They would be from the estates of elderly family members. My late MIL was a retired Home Ec teacher and somehow everyone always thought she should have the sewing stuff...LOL. I now have her embroidery machine/Horn cabinet/etc. and I want so very much to dig around and find out just what these machines in the barn are. My FIL mentioned them one day...guess I should check them out before he gets the idea to send them to the landfill. But, you know, there is only so much room in my house! I keep hinting to my DH that we need to build a new house....but I don't think he has any idea of how large I want it to be. LOL

Congratulations on finally using your little "gem". I have never see that kind of machine. I will be on the lookout.

That is a great find. My former neighbor has one and quilts with it all the time.

Blog Entries
    Woo Hoo!!! I am glad you got her out and are using her :D:D:D

What a wonderful SIL. And a great find.

Like Christmas in June! Congrats!

Oh, happy day !!

Necchi is a cadillac of the old machines....

Could you post a picture, please?

It must have been the right time for it to happen. I am happy for you.

Yahoo ...........best deal is finding "free"s. Enjoy it!

I found a one of those too at a thrift store $20. It sews beautifully. Even came with lots of attachments. It's at our 2nd home & I only get to sew on it when I'm in the mountains and right now I'm making a fun apron on it. There's something to be said for the oldies

Would love to see a picture!! I have 4 Necchi machines and love them all!!!

I never had one but they were the prize in the day. I couldn't afford one then. Bet there are a lot of them out there in closets and storage because they were really well made.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Good for you and God bless. Penny

Here's another of my great finds. A Singer 99 in the cabinet with original book & attachments, buttonholer too. The bobbin drops in & doesn't use a case. Only sews a straight stitch

Singer 99
    Name:  Attachment-81126.jpe
Views: 37
Size:  292.4 KB

Singer 99 shot 2
    Name:  Attachment-81127.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  397.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    Is there anything better than "Free". Several years ago, 7 or 8 at least, my SIL came in the door yelling "MA". He had a portable sewing machine case in his hand. He had stopped to pick it up off the curb (because that's just something he does) and it had this Necchi 535FA machine in it. It looked brand new. The book didn't have any creases or anything. Well, this little beauty has been in my storage shed all this time. Case is a little scratched and very dusty but the machine still looks like new.

Guess what? It works like a charm. Doesn't hesitate at the bulky seams, loosened the pressure foot and it takes thick batting, you can even drop the feed dogs for FMQ! And to think I almost went out and bought a new inexpensive machine and I had this little jewel all along. Who would have thought it!
    Congratulations! That is really cool and good for your SIL. I've never sewn with a Necci but I would definitely enjoy using other good machines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast