Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another question about your style. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-question-about-your-style-t16572.html)

Bill'sBonBon 02-16-2009 10:10 AM

I like to do different patterns,even though I seem to get stuck on one and do several before I am really tired of it. I also like to do my own thing as I have done in several baby quilts. At this time I am finishing up on a attic windows crayon quilt,the last one of those,Thank God. I had to put it aside for 3 weeks now,haven't done anything for a while not even been in my sewing machine. But today when I get off the compter I am sandwiching quilt and basting.
BillsBonBon

Marcia 02-16-2009 10:27 AM

Well, G-this is a very good question and you are getting some great thoughtful answers.

I have been quilting for 9+ years and still consider myself a beginner. There are just so many things to learn. I do try to challenge myself with new things and I learn something new with every quilt I make. Sometimes it is as simple as "what was I thinking when I picked THAT fabric" and other times it is a great new technique or shortcut.

I do have one pattern that I go back to time and again. It is called "Yellow Brick Road". It is a simple pattern that goes together fast. I decided when my first grandchild was born that I would make every grandchild a quilt out of the same pattern (that way no one can ever claim favorites) and this was my choice. I have used different fabrics each time and I am branching out in quilt design and so each quilt looks different.

My tastes in fabrics have changed a lot over the last 9 years. I started out as a big Debbie Mumm fan, then I went through a definite folk art period. Now, I am more into reproduction fabrics, but also find myself very much drawn to the brighter fabrics that are making their way into our shops these days. I guess I like it all and since I make a lot of quilts for others, I try to make something that fits their style. Though my choice of fabrics may change with the market, I do tend to stick with more traditional patterns.

I have tried lots of different techniques-paper piecing, machine applique with a blanket stitch, invisible machine applique, needle turn applique, chain piecing, etc. I guess I am still trying to find out what works best for me.

Through the years you will find your style--it will evolve as you do. And your style may change too. That's fine, we all grow and change in life. The journey is what is fun!!

(Like Patrice, I do not have a problem with wordy posts!!)

littlehud 02-16-2009 12:05 PM

I have my favorite patterns (Double Irish chain is one of them ) but I love to try new things. Some patterns I don't like and will never do them again, but at least I tried them.

k3n 02-17-2009 01:12 AM

I agree with the concept 'too many patterns, too little time' and hope I live long enough to try them all!!!

But, I always go back to the first thing I learnt which is hexagons EPP as Granny's flower garden - NEVER seem to get bored of those hexs! I print out a black and white sheet off the computer, pinch the kids' crayons and have a great time doing 'colouring in' to come up with new patterns!

K x

Rose Marie 02-17-2009 08:57 AM

I make lap quilts and use a different pattern every time.
Its fun and you learn so much with each new expierience.
I have only made two bed size and sent them out for quilting.
I prefer to do it all myself on smaller quilts.
There are just so many neat patterns to try out.
Just started a disappearing nine patch since I cut all my scraps into 5 inch squares. It is fun and simple.

Lisa T 02-17-2009 09:58 AM

Oh, what a great question and such great answers, too.

I find that my style has evolved a lot, especially recently.

The one block I always go back to is "blocks around blocks". It really is just a courthouse steps type of block, but I only do 2 or 3 steps around and often make the center a fussy cut or an applique block.

I have seen a lot of variations of this block popping up on blogs lately and I always love everyone's take on it.

Even when I make the same block in two different quilts I use different colors. I don't like making the same exact quilt twice!

okie3 02-20-2009 02:18 PM

I like to try new stuff. If I don't like it after I start, it usually doesn't get finished or I take it apart and do it "my way". I learned to quilt from my Grandmother and her quilting group. So if it works do it.
So far the hardest one I've done is the Dresden plate only it's done a little different so that it looks like a wheel, the Quilt is called "the Kentucky Wagon Wheel. I was doing it for a family member, who at this moment has really disappointed me and I don't know if the person will remain in the family or not. Every time I sit down to try and finish it I start crying and can't make any progress so I finally just put it up for now.
:cry:
I'm getting stuff out and probably breaking all the rules and I'm going to make a "Train Quilt" for my 5 year old grandson. He keeps asking me when I'm going to do it. He thinks Grandma can make anything. :D

I say stay with what your comfortable with--you will venture out when you are ready to try something different.

mimisharon 02-20-2009 02:34 PM

I love the challenge of new blocks and can't just continously do the same things. I also like hand quilting, even though it is hard at times when arthur ( :twisted: ) decides I'm doing to much.

but I also admit to the sometimes I need mindless..........so then I fall back on old favorites. It always depends on what is going on in the house, what is happening with family, and where my head is. Know what I mean? :roll:

Sharon

Janstar 02-20-2009 05:26 PM

I like to learn new things. If I see something I like, I've got to try it. I'm of the same mind of too many quilt ideas and not enough time to do all of them! That's probably why I have so many WIP or UFOs.

Mousie 02-20-2009 06:47 PM

lisaT wrote:
.....The one block I always go back to is "blocks around blocks". It really is just a courthouse steps type of block, but I only do 2 or 3 steps around and often make the center a fussy cut or an applique block.

so far, this seems to be the type of quilt i am drawn to the most. I love applique, and I love motifs. I like lots of color and putting a motif in the center of a block is a great way to use lots of color. I will probably eventually try some new things, but although I love to look at it all, I don't necessarily want to do it all. I dream far more than I can do. I think we all do.