Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another question about your style. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-question-about-your-style-t16572.html)

Carol W 02-21-2009 08:48 AM

As I'm so new to quilting, almost 3 years now, I haven't tried many blocks.

The one that I'm into right now is the Disappearing 9 Patch. It's fun and it's a fast quilt to make.

weezie 02-21-2009 09:43 AM

I do a different pattern and often a different style each time I make a quilt. I want to try each of the various types/patterns that I think I am capable of doing without it making me insane and/or suicidal.

I am a packrat, which means I hate to waste anything and I have a compulsion (obsession?) to finish everything I start. Nothing gets thrown away, as tempting as that might be some times.

So far I have not found any type or pattern that I absolutely love enough to do again, but I have found one that I hate. I don't know if it's the pattern or the quiltmaker (me) or both. I am almost finished the top (king sized), but it has not been much fun.

Debbie1 02-21-2009 09:48 AM

I try new patterns with every quilt. I am fairly new to quilting and I pour over the free pattern sites looking for patterns that I can make and as my skill increases, I want to try harder and more incriate patterns. I have made some quilts with the same pattern. It's a baby quilt pattern that goes together fairly quickly!

QuiltinLee 02-21-2009 01:21 PM

My personal preference are the "traditional" patterns. I love 'em all and there are so many of them that I haven't really repeated too many of them.

That being said, I also make novelty patterns that have just caught my eye. Usually they are for the holidays. The others are when someone wants me to make them a quilt and they get to pick the pattern.

marla 02-21-2009 05:29 PM

Do what you love to do. That means, what interests you. Mybe you had enough of the Irish Chain and need to look towaards something that sparks your interest. If you only have one border left, get it done so it doesn't nag you, then get a new project going.

I buy too much fabric too, thinking of projects to do, then end up with UFO's, which nag me. I made a New Year resolution to get these UFO's done. Maybe I should do small projects, like table runners, until I get over it. At least a small project can give experience to doing just a few blocks to see if you like it.

key4unc 02-22-2009 07:03 AM

I do both. I seem to always find something new that I want to try. If I like the way it turned out and it was fun to make, I'll keep making that pattern until I am just sick of it. But then I might come back to it later. When I first found the Warm Wishes pattern, I made 4 quilts with it. Then it was time to move on to something new. I still come back to that pattern occasionally because I just love the way it showcases the focus fabric (great for novelty prints that I use a lot).

Mousie 02-22-2009 08:30 AM

key4unc, great avatar!
could you give a web site or the designer for Warm Wishes pattern? thanks. :D

key4unc 02-22-2009 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks. That pic was taken at the OR aquarium when I was on vacation last year.

Here's a link to the WW pattern: [code]http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt83[url] Be sure to click on "color options" to see a couple more ways to use the block. Here's one I made (don't look at the mistakes :lol: )

Guess I haven't quite figured out out to make a url link--sorry :roll:

kd124 02-22-2009 03:29 PM

I have a few that I have made several of--especially when I need one fast. Other than that, I love trying new things, including variations of some I have done. I have had a few that I couldn't wait to get it done and gone! I have a very long lists of "someday" which includes bargello and a watercolor landscape.

key4unc -- thanks for the link- I really like your quilt.

JCL in FL 02-22-2009 03:37 PM

There are a few patterns I have done several times but I try to do things that I think the person I am making it for would like and sometimes it isn't my favorite pattern. And once in a while I see something I really want to try and make it and just wait for the right person to give it to.
Right now I'm working on
1.a single Irish Chain for my queen size bed. I've done double and triple before but I saw a single posted here a while back and decided that was what I'd like on my bed.
2.a paper pieced throw for a friend, a pattern of their choice not mine, not as much fun.
3. a grandma's flower garden I like to piece in the car when we travel.
4. I'm buying FQ for a throw for my granddaughters bed and going to use a pattern I saw on line.

Just have fun with whatever you do and if you hate it put it away and you may come back to it later.
I guess I like long posts also.