Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another Reason To Wash Your Fabric!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-reason-wash-your-fabric-t215722.html)

Daisygirl 03-07-2013 11:13 AM

Oh that's just gross! That's why I'm a washer

Suzette316 03-07-2013 11:26 AM

I always prewash, but that's mainly to get the chemicals out of the fabric. Our bodies most likely won't react to them if we only have a few yards of unwashed fabric around, but when we get a good stash going, all those chemicals can become a huge problem, not only for us (as quilters), but also for our family members, including our pets. Washing takes care of that problem (and many don't know that their symptoms (headaches, stuffy noses, scratchy throats, breathing difficulties, etc.) are caused by the chemicals in unwashed fabric).

Dragonomine 03-07-2013 11:43 AM

Ew ew ew!!!! We've had several traps in the house since last fall. I'm not kidding when I say we've killed over a dozen mice. Today one of my dogs started sniffing around the back of the fish tank and yup wouldn't you know it! Caught us another mouse! And here I thought they were all gone.

JJean 03-07-2013 12:10 PM

Thanks for the reminder!

SouthPStitches 03-07-2013 12:57 PM

Can you imagine merrily zipping along with your rotary cutter and hitting a "speed bump" a/k/a dead mouse. That might be enough for me to swear off quilting altogether....

berryberry 03-07-2013 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5911682)
I do not prewash fabric unless I have to but I do wash my quilts after they are finished. This may change my mind. Mice and bed bugs. Yikes!

Wow! Fabric and bed bugs, I haven't associated the 2. It makes me think more where I get my fabric. I've ordered some off ebay recently. I always wash fabric first so I'm sure it's fine, but I have never purchased any fabric and checked to make sure no bed bugs attached. In this day and time, I should. Thanks for the association so I do check.

sharoney 03-07-2013 02:12 PM

This has been debated here many, many times. I am a pre washer, and always have been. The only thing I don't pre wash is precuts. And I always wash quilts after they're finished.

Ioftheneedle 03-07-2013 04:01 PM

My question to this is what about the pre-cuts? If you wash these small pieces won't they just ravel out into nothing? I have thought of steaming them reall good but haven't yet.
I am interested in your suggestions.

Lori S 03-07-2013 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches (Post 5912165)
Can you imagine merrily zipping along with your rotary cutter and hitting a "speed bump" a/k/a dead mouse. That might be enough for me to swear off quilting altogether....

Now that would put me off my quilting!

alisonquilts 03-07-2013 05:42 PM

Yuck!

I wonder what the "grass like weed" was...down here in NC our woodlands and gardens are becoming overgrown with an invasive weed called Japanese stiltgrass which came to the US in the early 20th century as packing material (like straw) and has been merrily growing like crazy ever since. It is very pretty, and almost impossible to get rid of. Was this "grass like weed" perhaps the vanguard of a new invasion?! Cheerful thought.

Alison