Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Reason To Wash Your Fabric!!!!

Another Reason To Wash Your Fabric!!!!

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but yesterday as I was getting fabric measured the saleslady got a funny look on her face. She said that she felt something between the layers. Slowly she folded back the top layer & was relieved to only find a piece of grasslike weed. Then she told me that she has found dead mice in bolts before. YUCK!!! I guess since most of our fabric comes from overseas you just don't know what is on the boat with it. Now if you still don't want to wash your fabric, that is fine by me but I thought y'all might be interested.
    .* .*)) -::-
    ((.*~Dody.*))
    -::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...

Ew!!!! I like to wash fabric to get sizing and other chemicals out. I also have to use unscented soap for baths and unscented laundry detergent - skin allergies! Not just me but my DH and youngest son.

Eeeewwww, mice, gross! I always wash my fabric anyway, but thanks for the reminder of another reason to do so (besides colour running).
    1951 Singer 301A - "Jean"
    1958 Singer Featherweight - "Verna"
    2009 Janome 4100QDC - Nameless

Blog Entries
    Yikes!!!! I seldom, if ever, pre-wash fabric I buy new. I always wash fabric when I buy it from the thrift stores or yard sales. Knowing things are found in new fabrics makes me re-think about washing new fabrics.
    Sherri

I am a washer. I know not everone is but I can not help myself and this is just another reason to.

I am a washer too. Gotta get rid of the chemicals and smells. Thanks for sharing this!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

i am also a washer after i buy it. thanks for info

Blog Entries
    I too am a pre washer for allergy issues as well. I just don't understand the thinking behind not washing either before or after making the quilt. This fabric goes into a quilt that will probably be used to wrap up in. These unwashed fabrics will be touching bare skin, and how many of us will pull a quilt up over our heads when we are cold? I would never buy a piece of clothing from anywhere, including retail shops and especially thrift stores and wear it before I put it next to my skin! Why would a quilt be any different?
    I am not a germaphobe but I do know that there is some nasty stuff out there and I would want to take any precaution I could to prevent any problems.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I do not prewash fabric unless I have to but I do wash my quilts after they are finished. This may change my mind. Mice and bed bugs. Yikes!

I find that pre-washing solves so many problems! Especially when the backing shrinks more than 10", yikes...I am SO glad I pre-washed that piece, could have caused major issues if I hadn't.

Oh that's just gross! That's why I'm a washer
    Do what you love, love what you do!

I always prewash, but that's mainly to get the chemicals out of the fabric. Our bodies most likely won't react to them if we only have a few yards of unwashed fabric around, but when we get a good stash going, all those chemicals can become a huge problem, not only for us (as quilters), but also for our family members, including our pets. Washing takes care of that problem (and many don't know that their symptoms (headaches, stuffy noses, scratchy throats, breathing difficulties, etc.) are caused by the chemicals in unwashed fabric).

Banned
    Ew ew ew!!!! We've had several traps in the house since last fall. I'm not kidding when I say we've killed over a dozen mice. Today one of my dogs started sniffing around the back of the fish tank and yup wouldn't you know it! Caught us another mouse! And here I thought they were all gone.

Thanks for the reminder!
    Jean

Can you imagine merrily zipping along with your rotary cutter and hitting a "speed bump" a/k/a dead mouse. That might be enough for me to swear off quilting altogether....

Quote Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
    I do not prewash fabric unless I have to but I do wash my quilts after they are finished. This may change my mind. Mice and bed bugs. Yikes!
    Wow! Fabric and bed bugs, I haven't associated the 2. It makes me think more where I get my fabric. I've ordered some off ebay recently. I always wash fabric first so I'm sure it's fine, but I have never purchased any fabric and checked to make sure no bed bugs attached. In this day and time, I should. Thanks for the association so I do check.

This has been debated here many, many times. I am a pre washer, and always have been. The only thing I don't pre wash is precuts. And I always wash quilts after they're finished.

My question to this is what about the pre-cuts? If you wash these small pieces won't they just ravel out into nothing? I have thought of steaming them reall good but haven't yet.
    I am interested in your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    Can you imagine merrily zipping along with your rotary cutter and hitting a "speed bump" a/k/a dead mouse. That might be enough for me to swear off quilting altogether....
    Now that would put me off my quilting!

Yuck!

I wonder what the "grass like weed" was...down here in NC our woodlands and gardens are becoming overgrown with an invasive weed called Japanese stiltgrass which came to the US in the early 20th century as packing material (like straw) and has been merrily growing like crazy ever since. It is very pretty, and almost impossible to get rid of. Was this "grass like weed" perhaps the vanguard of a new invasion?! Cheerful thought.

Alison

They would have to drag my screaming body down off the ceiling if a salesperson found a mouse while cutting my fabric. And no way would I buy it no matter how perfect for my project. I am extremely mouse-a-phobic.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    Yuck!

I wonder what the "grass like weed" was...down here in NC our woodlands and gardens are becoming overgrown with an invasive weed called Japanese stiltgrass which came to the US in the early 20th century as packing material (like straw) and has been merrily growing like crazy ever since. It is very pretty, and almost impossible to get rid of. Was this "grass like weed" perhaps the vanguard of a new invasion?! Cheerful thought.

Alison
    I'm not sure what it was because she tossed it under the counter but that sounds possible. I was just relieved it wasn't a bug...I never even thought about a mouse until she said that. FYI, this was a very clean nice store in a good neighborhood.
    .* .*)) -::-
    ((.*~Dody.*))
    -::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...

I am a pre washer.. glad I am even more after reading this!

Doesn't surprise me at all. Just because it looks crisp and clean, doesn't mean it is. If you think about it fabric and other imported items travel a fair bit....factories, warehouses, containers on ships and trucks, shelving in stores...bound to pick up a few bits and pieces along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    Haha...I just got a mental picture of this and it was so funny! I will think about this now every time I use my rotary cutter. haha

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast