Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Reason To Wash Your Fabric!!!! >

Another Reason To Wash Your Fabric!!!!

Another Reason To Wash Your Fabric!!!!

Old 03-11-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
Excuse me?
You don't have mice in America, or what?
oh dear! I surely didn't mean any offense. Yes we have mice and roaches and bed bugs and even lots of snotty nose kiddos.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:06 PM

I don't pre-wash my fabrics. I wash my quilt tops before I hand-quilt them. The reason is that I shop for fabric every 3 months and I always buy 3 yards of each selection. I spend around $300 to restock cause I sell my quilts. I also buy my white and cream by the bolt. I don't have the time to wash and iron that much fabric. I shop at only 2 places and I have never found anything other than fabric in my bags. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:24 PM

I serge the cut edges of my purchased fabric, then throw it in the washer to get rid of any chemicals as well as the sizing. Warm water, cold rinse, no fabric softener. I dry it in the dryer for a few minutes, then hang it over the line. Then i spray it with my own concoction of spray starch--to get that sizing back in. When it's almost dry i iron it. With the spray starch,cutting becomes a breeze.when i see a serged piece of fabric in my stash, i know it is ready to use.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but yesterday as I was getting fabric measured the saleslady got a funny look on her face. She said that she felt something between the layers. Slowly she folded back the top layer & was relieved to only find a piece of grasslike weed. Then she told me that she has found dead mice in bolts before. YUCK!!! I guess since most of our fabric comes from overseas you just don't know what is on the boat with it. Now if you still don't want to wash your fabric, that is fine by me but I thought y'all might be interested.

Many years ago when my children were small, I went to purchase a coat at a discount store. Just before trying on one...Someone had just tried one one and a snake was in the sleeve of the coat they tried on. So I don't care what you buy, you need to have it cleaned before putting on or next to your body...it is just too dangerous.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by eunice drew View Post
I serge the cut edges of my purchased fabric, then throw it in the washer to get rid of any chemicals as well as the sizing. Warm water, cold rinse, no fabric softener. I dry it in the dryer for a few minutes, then hang it over the line. Then i spray it with my own concoction of spray starch--to get that sizing back in. When it's almost dry i iron it. With the spray starch,cutting becomes a breeze.when i see a serged piece of fabric in my stash, i know it is ready to use.
I do the same thing! The serger is 1/4" and works as a great seam guide.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:00 PM

Been washing my fab for years. Alergies for me too.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:32 PM

Not my thing to say the least. One other reason I take all my fabric out once a year and re-fold every piece. It also gives me the chance to check out all the cabinets. I live sorta in the country with a state park bordering my own personal woods. Fortunately I have not found any critters in my fabrics. It still send chills down my spine.