Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Reason To Wash Your Fabric!!!! >

Another Reason To Wash Your Fabric!!!!

Another Reason To Wash Your Fabric!!!!

Old 03-09-2013, 10:16 AM

If I have enough for a full load will wash similar colors together, warm to hot water and fast wash if I have smaller amounts. Better to wash first then if there is a problem you know it before hand. I now surge cut ends before washing. Don't usually buy precuts so not a problem.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:51 AM

[QUOTE=Beachbound;5911481]I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but yesterday as I was getting fabric measured the saleslady got a funny look on her face. She said that she felt something between the layers. Slowly she folded back the top layer & was relieved to only find a piece of grasslike weed.

Once at our local fabric store I lifted up a bolt of fabric to move it out of the way. A mouse nest tumbled onto the floor! I always wash my fabrics now!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by sharoney View Post
This has been debated here many, many times.
And it will continue to be until the end of time . . .
Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
Oh, and as someone said, why is everyone so concerned about yardage, but not too worried about precuts? I wouldn't think there's any difference in how they are handled and that if there's a vermin issue, it would affect the precuts too. They come off the same fabric runs as the bolts, and stored in much the same conditions.
I wash precuts also, but differentlly, they get soaked in a washbasing in a liquid like dreft and had swished. Then rinsed and they can be either spun dry in a salad spinner or laid flat on a towel to dry.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Well I might as well enter my 2 cents. I always wash ALL my fabric, (yardage and pre-cuts) in HOT water and a HOT dryer. Many times my pre-cuts as the yardage have come out different sizes. I do this because of all the reasons stated. Even before I retired I did this. I have no problem going the extra mile. I usually try to purchase extra fabric when I can for this reason. Some fabrics tangle in the washer some don't. Those that do I just untangle. I may be crazy but I find it calming to prepare my fabric this way. We all are going to do what we are going to do no matter what has been said. We know that this poor horse will continue to be beaten in the future so just have fun quilting and do what works for you. Happy quilting all. BrendaK
Old 03-09-2013, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ziegamomma View Post
I have seen the light, and I am now a pre-wash convert! Fleas, bedbugs, mice, bird poop....TMI! I don't even want to think about it........washer here I come!
You can add cockroaches to the list. Those nasty things hide in all sorts of places.

It's the reason cardboard boxes are never allowed into our house: baby roaches love to hide in those tiny air channels in the cardboard. Learned about that the first time we went sailing in the Mediterranean.

I've been pre-washing my fabric since forever for the original reason many of you have: allergies.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:45 PM

I always prewash fabric that are FQs or off the bolt for all the reasons stated but have not done much with precuts. I have presoaked precut batiks in very warm water and a bit of soap and it was very time consuming. I really should be more conscientious and should make more of an effort with the precuts.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign View Post
I wash precuts also, but differentlly, they get soaked in a washbasing in a liquid like dreft and had swished. Then rinsed and they can be either spun dry in a salad spinner or laid flat on a towel to dry.
I do the same!
Old 03-09-2013, 01:35 PM

Batiks are made in Bali, out in the sunshine. When you find crusty bits on a batik it's bird poop. I was a manager at JoAnn a few years ago and every once in awhile I would find yellow crusty bits on a batik. But I've found the same crusty yellow bits on LQS fabrics as well, so it's not just JoAnn fabrics. Fabrics are filthy, my hands would be gray at the end of a shift. Yes, you want to wash ALL fabric when it comes into your house. You never know where it's been.
I sure hope they do something to fabric bolts before they enter the country. Some of the insects found in other countries are lethal!

Thank you for the idea to put precuts in lingerie bags, I hadn't thought of that! I bought some Moda Double Chocolate charms just last night, so I'll throw them in the wash today.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonomine View Post
Ew ew ew!!!! We've had several traps in the house since last fall. I'm not kidding when I say we've killed over a dozen mice. Today one of my dogs started sniffing around the back of the fish tank and yup wouldn't you know it! Caught us another mouse! And here I thought they were all gone.
Smart dog! We wondered what was eating the leftover dog food and such in our outside utility room...it was mice! There were 10 of them!! They like peanut butter! So they made nests in my prewashed, ready to use fabric...so back to the plastic storage tubs after another washing and drying. UCK!