Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another Reason To Wash Your Fabric!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-reason-wash-your-fabric-t215722.html)

auntpiggylpn 03-08-2013 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign (Post 5913803)
Just my 2 cents every fabric shrinks, and sometimes bleeds at a different rate, so if you want a better looking quilt in the end, wash first.
Pat

I'll had my 2¢ to that pot too! :thumbup:

patdesign 03-08-2013 06:56 AM

This is the best reason of all to pre wash, formaldehyde is a deadly chemical, it has been long know that it off gasses for a long time. Our skin is the largest organ in or body, to not wash fabric means you are exposing yourself to everything that fabric came in contact with in its previous environment, and that can run the gamut from bug poop to human germs. YUK!
Pat

DOTTYMO 03-08-2013 07:16 AM

I usually wash after quilting. After reading this while a quilt as in the drier. I will wash first. Then I took my quilt out , 6 colour catchers still evidence of running and it shrunk.
Wash first. From now on.

quiltingfan 03-08-2013 07:28 AM

I must confess do not wash fabric before and my son claimed his quilt before I could wash it. I do wash baby blankets before I give them. Other than that. I don't think of it. The mice thing will probably change my mind.

jbj137 03-08-2013 07:34 AM

I ALWAYS wash.
I put toooo much effort in a quilt for it to FADE or SHINK.

mjhaess 03-08-2013 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter (Post 5911498)
Ew!!!! I like to wash fabric to get sizing and other chemicals out. I also have to use unscented soap for baths and unscented laundry detergent - skin allergies! Not just me but my DH and youngest son.

Good advice....Thanks..

Carol34446 03-08-2013 08:40 AM

Being old (66) I have always washed fabric, to make sure it doesn't shrink, color run etc. From this board I now surge the ends so they don't ravel, and don't iron until I want to use it, as it is all stored in plastic bins and I would have to iron to use out of bin, but do fold it nice and flat with no wrinkles. Now I have another reason to wash it. Dear mice, gives me the chills. What a way for poor mouse to die. And fabric, I will never not wash again.

bearisgray 03-08-2013 08:42 AM

A question:

If large cuts of fabric may have 'issues' - why would a person think that small cuts (such as charm squares) would be issue free?

I know that washing small pieces of fabric may be a 'bother' - but if bugs, chemicals, shrinkage, bleeding,etc. might be a problem with a large piece of fabric, why would it NOT be a problem when it's cut into a little piece?

crafty pat 03-08-2013 08:43 AM

The shops can't help what is shipped to them. We lived in the far east for many years while being stationed there. Our wives club would take tours of where things were made and if you could see where fabrics are stored before being shipped out you would wash and wash. Filthy warehouses open to rats, mice spiders and snakes loved to bury up in it. And those large water bugs roaches on hormones. I don't know what they are like now but in the 60's and early 70's that was the conditions there.

judord 03-08-2013 08:43 AM

I was taught, (way back in the dark ages) when I learned to quilt, to always wash my fabrics when they come in the house. That way I have no doubt, when I put something together, if it will shrink or bleed or whatever. Before I learned this little tidbit, I had had that problem with putting fabrics together that shrank differently when washed. No more!
Judy