Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another way to store fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-way-store-fabric-t55359.html)

QBeth 07-20-2010 06:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Having had two foot surgeries, my foot doctor and I are well acquainted. Several month ago, I noticed that he'd emptied two "filing" units that were used to store medical folders (his office is going electronic). Many times, in many offices, I have coveted / yearned for / craved / ... one of these units!! When I saw his empty, I screwed up my courage, dreading what the cost might be, and asked if they were for sale??

Yes! They were for sale and at very reasonable prices. Long story short, I have space for only one in my sewing room (although I was tempted to buy the second unit and re-purpose it) so bought only one. _:thumbup: _

Sorry the picture is a bit blurry (hate this camera!). Is this cabinet to die for or what?!! When the fabric is folded using the ruler method, it fits perfectly. At this point, about half of it is folded correctly. The shelving unit to the right (which will be moved shortly) is what I was using but things kept toppling over and, because the shelves are deep, I kept putting other things in front of the fabric which completely defeated being able to see it at a glance. _ :-( _

So, what do you think of my solution??

New system
[ATTACH=CONFIG]73693[/ATTACH]

Old system - still have some cleanup to do
[ATTACH=CONFIG]73694[/ATTACH]

LindaM 07-20-2010 06:26 AM

QBeth, that's glorious! How easy to pull out just the ones you want - well done :thumbup:

dkabasketlady 07-20-2010 06:27 AM

WOW!! I would have never thought of that kind of storage cabinet! I think I would have bought the other one too!!! I'd have found the room somewhere for it! A PERFECT solution for storing your fabrics!!

lots2do 07-20-2010 06:27 AM

Wow!
That is heavenly, your stash is too!
lots2do

saf45 07-20-2010 06:27 AM

wow, so neat ,makes me want to do mine, im jealous
great job

QBeth 07-20-2010 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM
QBeth, that's glorious! How easy to pull out just the ones you want - well done :thumbup:

Thanks! I can't tell you how pleased I am with this system. It actually gave me the urge to clean-up my sewing room which has been a disaster for toooooo long!

QBeth 07-20-2010 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
WOW!! I would have never thought of that kind of storage cabinet! I think I would have bought the other one too!!! I'd have found the room somewhere for it! A PERFECT solution for storing your fabrics!!

As you can see, I'm just about out of room so I really wish I had room for the other cabinet. But, no can do.

One thing this has done is force me to look at just how much fabric I do have. Too much was in bags or elsewhere. I don't over spend but have been collecting for a lot of years. What's the saying..??.. out of sight, out of mind?!

cjomomma 07-20-2010 06:30 AM

That is a fabulous idea. If I ever get a sewing room I am gonna have to remember this idea. Thanks for sharing.

wichypoo 07-20-2010 06:31 AM

Awesome awesome Wow! jealous me :mrgreen:
My sewing room is so messy ,when sending my husband
in there for something, he'll say "is it safe" he he.
lucky you.
Karen

Rachel 07-20-2010 06:33 AM

hhhmmm, wonder how heavy it'd be to put on large casters so you could double stack them and move them around when you need fabric...