Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Answer to the Walmart "quality of fabric" email (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/answer-walmart-%22quality-fabric%22-email-t70857.html)

vintagemotif 10-22-2010 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I thought the original question was:

Do fabric manufacturers sell more than one "grade/run/quality" of fabric under any one brand name?

Not how much one pays for a yard of print xyz manufactured by Company A or where one purchased it.

It was, and why I posted what I had heard and read.

mzsooz 10-22-2010 11:08 PM

Here we go again! I'm getting tired of this same argument. How about we discuss toilet paper?

Am I a snob because I prefer 2 ply? Am I offending someone if I can only afford the 1 ply? OMG...and then there is ultra.... and quilted!!

Because I'm a quilter should I only buy the quilted brand?

Come on ladies. Please let stop this bickering!! We are friends here with different incomes, lifestyles, tastes, and sensibilities. Lets play nice.

This post was made innocently and once again turned into a blame fest.

<sigh>

vintagemotif 10-22-2010 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee

I know that not everyone can or will spend that much at a LQS, but I like to whenever possible, and I must admit that I, too, have felt that some members of the board sometimes make comments that seem disparaging about those people who choose to spend their money on more expensive fabric. It seems like some people think that those of us who spend more are less than intelligent for doing so, as if we're being taken for a ride. I feel, however, that a person's disposable income should be hers or his to do with as he or she chooses. As long as my family isn't going hungry and the bills are paid, I should be able to spend $11/yard without being looked down upon if that makes me happy, and it does. It's just like someone spending $12000 on a sewing machine instead of $400 for a machine that works perfectly well.

I was surprised at the tone of some that had posted, and noticed that they were mocking those that would pay more than X amount of money for fabric.

I like your analogy, which came to my mind too.

And for the record. I piece and quilt on my two FREE vintage treadles, and I purchase almost all of my fabrics on sale.

TN Donna 10-22-2010 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by stefanib123
I got an answer back from A.E. Nathan as to whether Walmart gets a crappier quality of fabric than the quilt stores. I've heard it on here and at other places that even if the fabric looks the same, its actually a lesser quality.

This never sounded right to me, but I don't know much about stuff like this, so I emailed a couple of different fabric companies, and simply asked them. Here's their reply:

Good Morning Stephanie,
This is total nonsense. We don’t have the time or the energy to make different fabrics for the shops and walmart. So in short, the answer is NO. Everyone gets the same version.
Thanks.
Scott

I am still waiting to hear from the other companies.

I know this to be true as I worked in a garment factory for 15+ years. The shirts we made were all cut from the same material, sewn with the same thread and on the same machine. The label the collar girls stitchen was what determined where it went and what the price was. I learned then that fabric was all the same if it was cotton.

SaraSewing 10-23-2010 01:32 AM

What an interesting thread! I'm sure glad that my stash is big enough that I don't have to worry about where to buy fabric. Gotta use up what I already have now!

patricej 10-23-2010 02:23 AM

fact: each person has her own reason(s) for buying what and where she does.

fact: unless she's asking somebody else to pay for it, she does not need to justify anything or accept any sort of personal label.

question: why assume that a person is a snob just because she insists on shopping only in high end shops? she may have a long list of reasons that have nothing to do with that. for example, she may "shop with her heart" and be motivated by a desire to support only small businesses. for example, she may need and/or appreciate the personal attention and value help selecting fabrics that will work best together. for example, she may have signed up for classes and feel it would be rude to buy her fabrics for those classes someplace else. for example, she may feel confident about her purchases only when she's been able to see and touch them in person beforehand. the list goes on and on. not everyone who shops only in the LQS does so because they are unwilling to believe that good fabric can be found elsewhere.

question: why assume that a person is anti-LQS just because they normally or always shop elsewhere? that list is pretty long as well.

do not prejudge. do not assume.

there is no need to be anti-anything. just be pro-whatever-your-preference-is an worry not about anybody else's preference. be happy for yourself. be happy for them.

look in a person's heart for who they are. you won't find that out by looking in her stash or at the price tags. ;-)

patricej 10-23-2010 04:21 AM

p.s.

i still think it was pretty darned wise and dedicated of stefanib to seek the facts from the sources.

i appreciated the response from AE Nathan. also found it amusing.

we heard from Kaufman quite some time ago. they also confirmed that they do not sell anything but their best stuff - regardless of who's buying it.

i hope she hears from others and that she will share those responses.

is there life on Mars? i'm pretty sure knowing wouldn't change my travel plans. however, i'm still fascinated by the question and am very interested in the clues they're gathering in trying to find the answer.

dsb38327 10-23-2010 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I've always found that you can find a wide variety of qualities in any location - LQS, Walmart, Joann's, or online. Price doesn't always matter, especially when shopping sales. I use a wide variety of qualities depending on the purpose of what I'm making and how much effort it takes to create.

Just FYI - I once purchased a fabric at Hobby Lobby that I later found at a LQS for a much higher price. The fabrics seemed to be very different quality. I can't explain why. They were the exact same print in the same color. I do know that they could have been mistaken for being the same, for different prices, when they actually seemed to vary in quality.

I have always felt that when I spend $11/yard at a LQS, I'm not only paying for the fabric; I'm also paying to keep a service going. I value my LQS very highly. I not only regularly pick their brains for information, I also love to spend hours taking their classes and just browsing their aisles. I consider the higher price an investment in a resource that I know struggles to survive.

I know that not everyone can or will spend that much at a LQS, but I like to whenever possible, and I must admit that I, too, have felt that some members of the board sometimes make comments that seem disparaging about those people who choose to spend their money on more expensive fabric. It seems like some people think that those of us who spend more are less than intelligent for doing so, as if we're being taken for a ride. I feel, however, that a person's disposable income should be hers or his to do with as he or she chooses. As long as my family isn't going hungry and the bills are paid, I should be able to spend $11/yard without being looked down upon if that makes me happy, and it does. It's just like someone spending $12000 on a sewing machine instead of $400 for a machine that works perfectly well.

I rarely (if ever, I'd have to go back and look at my updates) comment on these 'kinds' of posts. Your response has made me want to make an update. I so much agree with you. These post seem to always, without fail, turn into a confrontation. I feel this is so unnecessary. Why do we do that? We each are entitled to our own 'way of life'. We are adults, loving, giving, and caring people. We should be able to have these conversations without 'assuming' someone is being superior because of their choices. Statement of fact is statement of fact.
The post question addresses the difference in the 'quality' of fabrics.
Yes, there are differences. I don't know, and don't care if the differences are specific to a manufacturer. Yes, there are test runs. I have some in my stash. Now when I post pictures of my quilts I will leave others guessing where I got the fabric.
Ladies and gentlemen, please, let us have a conversation without faulting each other for our thoughts, views, ideas or statements. I have learned so much from the members on this board, I value the information I get from each of you.
I promise myself I will not open another post that has anything to do with this topic. I will continue to read the present post for your responses to my update in case there are any.

BellaBoo 10-23-2010 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinbee
take this test. go pick out your favorite fabric at walmart, hold it up to the light, and i can almost guarentee you that you would be able to read through it, then do the same with your favorite fabric in a quilt shop.

I did you test this morning. The David Textile fabric was as light blocking as the Blank, Marcus Bros, SSI, Kaffe Fasset, and Northcott and most all the other LQS fabric I had. I could see through Moda quite a bit and a lot of the Bernatex, Thimbleberries, Aunt Grace, and civil war repos were more see through the then AE Nathan fabric I have. The fabric that is coming to the Walmarts that have the fabric dept is very good quality, not like the fabrics that every Walmart had before. There are lousy fabrics at discount stores and there are good quality. It pays to check the discount stores first and save money. :-D

Scissor Queen 10-23-2010 08:15 AM

I'm sorry but I simply will not sit back and watch while people call other people snobs. It's unacceptable to call people names. It's offensive and hurts people's feelings.