Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   any advice for teaching (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-advice-teaching-t98654.html)

gal288 02-11-2011 05:53 AM

Rotary cutting safety, new quilters do not understand how sharp they are, someone here on the board just posted the other day she cut the tip off her finger, so even experienced quilter have mishaps!

feffertim 02-11-2011 06:26 AM

The motto of the day 'RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER', saves a lot of ripping

momcpo 02-11-2011 06:28 AM

Just have fun and don't be too picky.

BKrenning 02-11-2011 07:07 AM

For the stash fabric, starching & pressing.

Careful with the rotary cutter.

Accurate cutting. There is more fudge factor in other types of sewing. 1/4 inch isn't as forgiving as 5/8 is.

Measure and mark the 1/4 inch on the sewing machine for her. Garment construction is different & we are taught to watch the markings on the plate to the right of the needle to maintain seam allowance. Quilters watch the foot (if they have a 1/4 inch foot) or make a 1/4 inch seam stopper in front of the foot.

Press to the dark. Another difference in garment construction is they normally press open or serge seams together.

The above list were the "culture shock" issues for me when I started quilting. I'm sure there were others but those were my big issues.

PaperPrincess 02-11-2011 07:14 AM

I like to have fun when I piece, not fight the fabric. So teaching her accurate cutting (which sounds like you already do) and sewing an accurate 1/4" seam would be my priorities. Taking a few minutes at the beginning to figure out where a 1/4 inch is on her machine, and encouraging her to maintain it will save loads of frustration. Oh, and how to press, not iron, having said all that I would not worry too much if some points don't match!

the casual quilter 02-11-2011 09:07 AM

This is such a good thing you are doing. My suggestion is to her get a good handle on the basics and explaing the "whys" as well as the "hows". Why we us a 1/4 inch seam allowance, why we don't use the selvage, why we use a shorter stitch length and things of that sort.

LoriEl 02-12-2011 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by gal288
Rotary cutting safety, new quilters do not understand how sharp they are, someone here on the board just posted the other day she cut the tip off her finger, so even experienced quilter have mishaps!

Exactly what I was thinking.

Hosta 02-12-2011 05:44 AM

when I teach someone sewing or painting I make sure they have a notebook they can write in so they can refer back to it if they are alone and have questions I also sometimes do easy printouts of steps on my printer that way they have pics to look at too nothing fancy just a little bit of help because when you are learning you are under pressure and you sometimes forget directions and different steps in the process

skothing 02-12-2011 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
For the stash fabric, starching & pressing.

Careful with the rotary cutter.

Accurate cutting. There is more fudge factor in other types of sewing. 1/4 inch isn't as forgiving as 5/8 is.

Measure and mark the 1/4 inch on the sewing machine for her. Garment construction is different & we are taught to watch the markings on the plate to the right of the needle to maintain seam allowance. Quilters watch the foot (if they have a 1/4 inch foot) or make a 1/4 inch seam stopper in front of the foot.

Press to the dark. Another difference in garment construction is they normally press open or serge seams together.

The above list were the "culture shock" issues for me when I started quilting. I'm sure there were others but those were my big issues.

Ditto Just to add practice cutting 1.5 in by 3.5 strips. Then sew them together they should be 3.5 by 3.5 if they are not do until they are. Practice on small then you are ready for the other fabric. Learning is the fun.

mhansen6 02-12-2011 08:26 AM

Try the tube quilting method. That is a great way to start and it is easy and makes the process much quicker. I have used this on Quilts for Kids several times.