Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   any advice for teaching (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-advice-teaching-t98654.html)

katvert 02-11-2011 12:00 AM

I have been making baby quilts for a while (recently gained the confidence to try other things) and now my friend wants to learn.
We found some "sale" fabric and I told her I would teach her by making a "quilt for kids" I also ordered their "kit" to go along with them.
I do have enough confidence to know that mine will be nice enough to donate....but I have never seen any of her sewing.

My thought is we can just work through them side-by-side each step together. Anything she needs I should be able to help her with.

Any other advice for teaching someone who has never quilted?

Murphy 02-11-2011 12:04 AM

Measure twice, cut once (smile).

Theresa 02-11-2011 12:04 AM

Has your friend sewn before? Does she/he know how to use the sewing machine comfortably? Knowing this for starters may help you know where to start with your information. Have fun! I loved sharing with my good buddy and daughter!

katvert 02-11-2011 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Measure twice, cut once (smile).

LOL...
That is my motto for life... my dad taught me that....I even have a silver tape measure with that engraved on it.

Nice, straight, accurate cuts remove so much frustration.

katvert 02-11-2011 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Theresa
Has your friend sewn before? Does she/he know how to use the sewing machine comfortably? Knowing this for starters may help you know where to start with your information. Have fun! I loved sharing with my good buddy and daughter!

She says she is comfortable with her machine, but has just never quilted. So we will see. Hopefully it will be more fun.

Everything is better with a friend. This friend is also in my knitting/crochet group.

AnnieH 02-11-2011 01:30 AM

How wonderful. If she knows her machine you'll have such fun. Trust your instincts and take it slowly. Good luck and happy teaching.

grann of 6 02-11-2011 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by katvert
I have been making baby quilts for a while (recently gained the confidence to try other things) and now my friend wants to learn.
We found some "sale" fabric and I told her I would teach her by making a "quilt for kids" I also ordered their "kit" to go along with them.
I do have enough confidence to know that mine will be nice enough to donate....but I have never seen any of her sewing.

My thought is we can just work through them side-by-side each step together. Anything she needs I should be able to help her with.

Any other advice for teaching someone who has never quilted?

Yes, I would say just have her follow what you are doing and explain every step as you do it; answer all her questions, and just go a little slower than you would if you were by yourself. And just be patient. Good luck and enjoy the process!

quilterella 02-11-2011 04:51 AM

Patience...lots and lots of patience. We all started somewhere. But, most of all, relax and have fun. And don't forget to introduce her to the infamous "seam ripper"

craftyone27 02-11-2011 05:03 AM

Just one word of advice about having her use a "Quilts for Kids" kit. I have been quilting off/on for 20ish years and am comfortable with my machine. I just finished my first kit from QFK and was a little disappointed in the kit. It is wonderful that they provide these kits for free and a great charity, so please don't misinterpret this criticism. That being said - these kits are pre-cut by someone else. I found inaccuracies in the cutting. The large focus squares were not all uniform in size and the long strips were cut somewhat wavy which made for inaccurate piecing on the 4 patch squares. You may do better to use the kit yourself(since you have experience and can more easily deal with these issues) and help her do the cutting for a matching quilt from your stash. Hope someof this info is helpful for you. Good luck to your friend on her start to becoming a "quilt addict"!!

Deb watkins 02-11-2011 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by quilterella
Patience...lots and lots of patience. We all started somewhere. But, most of all, relax and have fun. And don't forget to introduce her to the infamous "seam ripper"

Yep.....this is the basis of it! I am teaching HS girls, and boy - I am exhausted by the end of the class, but they are soooo proud that it makes it worthwhile.