Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any fabrics you really don't like? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-fabrics-you-really-dont-like-t61481.html)

Mattee 08-26-2010 10:39 AM

I'm just curious not just about the fabrics people do like, but those they don't. There's tons of things I like. I'm particularly partial to Civil War reproductions and relatively dark or muted fabrics, like Thimbleberries. I might be the only person on the planet, though (please don't yell at me) that doesn't like Batiks. I know it's uncommon, but I just really don't like them. It's one thing if they're used for a pictoral scene - needing something to look like the sky, for example, but just a traditional quilt using batiks? I'm just not a fan of that fabric. I've never bought any, and doubt I ever will. Am I alone?

What about everyone else? Anything you don't like? Batiks? Civil War repro? 30's? solids? Do you like everything, especially if it's on sale?

QBeth 08-26-2010 10:46 AM

Oh oh, sorry, I hate Thimbleberries. :-( Brights are my thing. But, as they say, to each their own. :-)

bearisgray 08-26-2010 10:47 AM

mostly if they feel icky or wrinkle badly or are flimsy (I definitely remember a LQS "flimsy" because it was a print that would have worked perfectly for a project I had going)

BellaBoo 08-26-2010 10:50 AM

I wasn't a fan of batiks until I went to a national quilt show and saw the quilts in the batik vendors booths. They were beautiful. Most quilt shops don't carry all the batik lines so all you see are the stronger color or heavy patterned batiks. I was amazed at the batik line that wasn't like that at all. I don't care for the Amish quilts with all the solid color fabrics.

Annaquilts 08-26-2010 10:53 AM

Kind of odd maybe but I do like looking at the new contemporary prints made into quilts but I do not like to buy the prints to use for my own quilts. I am also not big on white. Now what is strange is that I love Hawaiian prints.

gale 08-26-2010 10:57 AM

I don't care for the darker muted fabrics, country colors or batiks. My eye is always drawn to the modern brights and the 30's prints. My LQS ONLY has darker muted and country fabrics. Well they do have some 30's prints. They say they have no plans to get any brights in so I haven't been back.

np3 08-26-2010 11:01 AM

I never use solids. I use blends but not straight solids.

Dingle 08-26-2010 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I'm just curious not just about the fabrics people do like, but those they don't. There's tons of things I like. I'm particularly partial to Civil War reproductions and relatively dark or muted fabrics, like Thimbleberries. I might be the only person on the planet, though (please don't yell at me) that doesn't like Batiks. I know it's uncommon, but I just really don't like them. It's one thing if they're used for a pictoral scene - needing something to look like the sky, for example, but just a traditional quilt using batiks? I'm just not a fan of that fabric. I've never bought any, and doubt I ever will. Am I alone?
What about everyone else? Anything you don't like? Batiks? Civil War repro? 30's? solids? Do you like everything, especially if it's on sale?

I don't really care for Batiks either. My Sister loves them. She sticks more to the muted colors. (I call them boring) I like the bright slap you in the face colors! :lol:

Quilting Di 08-26-2010 11:02 AM

Mattee, I pretty much like the same ones you do. I have an appreciation for the brights and like to make them for Project Linus, but they just don't do anything for me in my home. I have not purchased any Batiks...have seen some I like okay, but just not to that point yet. Don't have any idea where I would put them if I got them. :D

BRenea 08-26-2010 11:03 AM

I have what I think I like and dislike, but I try to keep an open mind, sometimes I surprise myself! I also think my tastes have changed over time.